Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mosey
    • Mar 2007

Trying to learn how to make a DVD

I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I'm trying to convert Mini DV tapes to DVD. I have loaded the tapes with Ulead VideoStudio 9.0 SE DVD. A few weeks ago I managed to make a DVD of a video, but now I can't remember what I did and can't get it to work again. I clicked on the "Share" tab, then clicked on "Create Disc". That brought up a new window. I clicked on "Add VideoStudio Project" and selected the video I want. But, I can't get a DVD format when I try to select it on the "Output disc format" dropdown. All I get is "VCD". Any help is greatly appreciated! I included some snapshots of the screens for what I did so far.
    Attached Files
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

assuming your dvd burner is still active? is there any way it defaulted to a combo drive that only burns cd's or you have to have a dvd loaded?

is that cw/lead and follow?

Comment

• Mosey
      • Mar 2007

Chewey, I have a DVD+R loaded in the drive. I can try putting the disc I had success with a while ago and see if I can add to it. That's my wife and I lined up to do a 2-Step. We're Country Western dancers and that's actually how we met 15 years ago!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Ulead Video Studio 9.0SE allows first-time users to edit and create professional-looking videos with ease.
        says nothing about burning a dvd

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 4 Disc Creator allows you to burn movies, slideshows, data and music to CD or DVD in an instant.
        maybe use the se just to create the video file?

I 2step/chacha/waltz/east/cowboy/schottische/ and forgot how to west coast

Comment

• Mosey
          • Mar 2007

Chewy, Hmmm. What you quote is interesting. I did create a DVD though. It's a video of the kids in swimming class. I burned it on a DVD+R, then played it back in the DVD player for my TV. I'm really confused at this point.

As for the dancing, yeah, we learned west coast a while back too, but forgot it. We lived in Houston when we first learned to dance and there's a great place to learn there, SSQQ. We've lived in Colorado and currently in Indiana since then and have never found a place like SSQQ. Do you have trouble with the line dancers taking over the floor? We went to the Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville, TN and thought we would get in a lot of 2-Step, etc, but the line dancers took over the floor.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

wild horse is a tourist trap, no couples to speak of there for years, nashville has real issues with keeping a club, too much other stuff to compete with

atlanta and knoxville are about it in the central south

fla has a lot of good clubs

I wonder if your SE version made dvd's while in a trial mode and that expired???

See if you can save to hard drive and then use other software

dvd flick and imgburn will give you authoring(if needed) and burning

Comment

• rago88
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Aug 2005

Mosey,

I use Ulead Video studio 9 and I am sure you messed up
              at the beginning when you chose your "capture format"
              should always choose dv when bringing video files in from a digital camera if you are going to edit a lot.
              If not, you can short cut and choose mpeg capture then go to render and burn..

anyway,
              the link below should set you straight..
              quick tutorial on capture/edit/burn when using mini-dv as the source..
              btw:
              when you capture,[bring film from camera into pc,
              it should be selected as .avi OR mpeg if your camera is not digital but older analog..]
              All editing as avi keeps any video you mess with from degrading.. mpeg will start to pixalize if you mess with it enough times..
              either way, if you edit or not,
              before you share[burn], the .avi needs to be converted to mpeg in order for the final disk you burned be played on a standard set top dvd player.
              .AVI will play on computer dvd player though.

all will be easily explained at this link..
              Ulead forum. RECOMMENDED CAPTURE/BURN PROCEDURE..

Last edited by rago88; 6 Apr 2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• 2COOL
                Kamen Moderator V3
                • Aug 2003

I find it amusing trying to visualize a wookie doing the 2-step.
                2CL C Henshin!
                If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

try a quick tunnel in the 2 step

Comment

• Mosey
                    • Mar 2007

I finally figured out what I did a few weeks ago. Apparently I was more on the ball then, then I am now! Too much going on at once with work, the kids in sports and other activities, my mind just couldn't keep up with it all. Anyway, I used Sonic MyDVD to burn the DVD. I tried it again last night and in Sonic DVD I can add the video file that I created in ULead, do a "Save Project" as a ".DVD", then I can burn it to a DVD. It did a "Transcoding Video" whatever that is, then burned it to the DVD. The only problem now is that I have about 60 minutes of video in 1 chapter on the DVD, so I can't skip ahead. I guess I need to go back into ULead and learn more about the splitting of scenes and stuff. Thanks for the help so far Chewy. rago88, thanks for the link, I'll read up on that too.

I guess my next trip to TN needs to be to Knoxville. I heard Cotton Eyed Joe's is pretty good for couples CW.

Comment

• Westly32
                      • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Mosey
                      I finally figured out what I did a few weeks ago. Apparently I was more on the ball then, then I am now! Too much going on at once with work, the kids in sports and other activities, my mind just couldn't keep up with it all. Anyway, I used Sonic MyDVD to burn the DVD. I tried it again last night and in Sonic DVD I can add the video file that I created in ULead, do a "Save Project" as a ".DVD", then I can burn it to a DVD. It did a "Transcoding Video" whatever that is, then burned it to the DVD. The only problem now is that I have about 60 minutes of video in 1 chapter on the DVD, so I can't skip ahead. I guess I need to go back into ULead and learn more about the splitting of scenes and stuff.
                      If you saved the project in MyDVD, then you could, if you have the time (because it will make the dvd all over again), open the project again, and this time use Edit Chapter to add chapter marks... when you click out of Edit Chapters, it will ask if you'd like to display chapter menus. Click yes, and the thumbnail picture on the top menu will now lead you to a chapter menu screen, with all the chapter marks as chapters with a thumbnail.

Comment

• Mosey
                        • Mar 2007

Westly32, Thanks, I'll give that try!

Comment

Working...