X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • varunb
    Trying my experiments in the dark.
    • Dec 2005

Software to create Quicktime movie ?

Can any1 suggest me a gud software that produces a Quicktime movie using H.264 & AAC codecs ? I was thinking of buying one but I am not able to figure out which one. I have TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress but it produces the output having too much luma. Its as if it is adding some luma factor from its in-built encoder without keeping in mind that Quicktime decoder will itself add some luma during playback. 2ndly, I don't want to create a Quicktime movie using the export profile which Quicktime Pro uses bcos the outputs produced are devoid of the brightness factor. I searched some info about Adobe Premier & Ulead Movie Studio but they produce H.264 AAC in MP4 format only (if I am corect).
  • varunb
    • Dec 2005

Hey can any of the Avid products encode any media file to quicktime format using H.264 & AAC ?

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Can any1 suggest me a gud software that produces a Quicktime movie using H.264 & AAC codecs ?
      MeGUI with x264, ffmpeg, mencoder.

keeping in mind that Quicktime decoder will itself add some luma during playback
      It does not. Use ffdshow with a directshow player if you're having problems with Quicktime.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• varunb
        • Dec 2005

of got it but how do I change the container from MP4 to MOV. I tried ffmpeg & it did work but the thing is that when I play the MOV file in Alternative & move the cursor to some random playback position, the video & audio lose sync. This is the command that I used:

ffmpeg -i Quicktime-muxed.mp4 -idct h264 -r 23.976 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Pirates_3.mov

2ndly u said that the H.264 decoder doesn't add any luma during playback. The why is it that when I change the extension of a .mov file to .hdmov, the video becomes a bit darker ?

Comment

• youthinksoo
          • Oct 2005

the almighty PROCODER 2 can do that with ease, and just about any other type of conversion.

Comment

• varunb
            • Dec 2005

I appreciate ur suggestion Youthinksoo but let me highlight something about Procoder 2. It has 2 target profiles to make a quicktime movie:

1.) Quicktime File
            2.) Quicktime export file

Option 1 doesn't supports AAC audio. Option 2 uses the Quicktime export profile in which both H.264 & AAC are supported but u can't do 2-pass encoding. Moreover, the output videos are dark as compared to videos that are obtained by Option 1 which are bright.

So do u have more suggestions ???
            Last edited by varunb; 5 May 2007, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• varunb
              • Dec 2005

Helloooooo, guyz I am still stuck here ! Is there an ffmpeg expert here ? Pls I want to know the proper commandline to convert MP4 to MOV by doing stream copy. The MP4 video has been created using meGUI. Below is the MP4 file info:

Video: H.264, 2-pass, 9600 bitrate, 960 x 720 resolution
              Audio: AAC-LC, CBR 224kbps

I tried the following commandline:

ffmpeg -i Quicktime-muxed.mp4 -idct h264 -r 23.976 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Pirates_3.mov

When I played the mov file in Quicktime 7, it played fine but in Quicktime Alternative, when I dragged the cursor to some random playback position, the video got out of sync. This thing didn't happen in Quicktime 7. Does any1 know the proper ffmpeg commandline ?

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

I am certainly not an expert.But,have you tried SUPER ? OR Mediacoder ?
                Here is the Mediacoder help forum:http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/forum/
                sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

Is there a reason you want it Quicktime compatible? Only cripples which features can be used in the encoder, and thus compressibility, not to mention decoding performance.

When I played the mov file in Quicktime 7, it played fine but in Quicktime Alternative, when I dragged the cursor to some random playback position, the video got out of sync
                  One would think it is a QT Alternative problem, and that the file is still compliant, so I don't understand what the problem is. Your FFmpeg parameters are fine.
                  "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• varunb
                    • Dec 2005

Thanx Paglamon for your suggestions but I have already tried the softwares u have mentioned. 1stly, Mediacoder doesn't support Quicktime output. 2ndly, SUPER will be my last resort as it doesn't support 2-pass x264 encoding.

Anonymez, there is a reason that I want Quicktime output but its not necessary to mention it cos its not gonna solve my problem.

One would think it is a QT Alternative problem, and that the file is still compliant, so I don't understand what the problem is. Your FFmpeg parameters are fine.
                    Thanx for confirming if the parameters I am using are right. Honestly speaking I myself don't know where the problem lies. As I have already stated before, the mov plays fine in Quicktime 7 if even I bring the cursor to some random point but its not the same thing in MPC. Any clues as to where the prob lies ?

Comment

Working...