• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Converting DVD RAM Video

I made some recordings on my DVD-RAM DCR thinking they were just ordinary DVD files. So today when I finally got a new DVD burner with DVD-RAM I tried to open a file in DVD Shrink. Needless to say it would not open. It has a different file format. It has two small .BUP and .IFO files and one large .VRO file.

Is there any way to convert DVD-RAM video files to DVD format?

Thanks!
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Oh bloody hell... I hope this isn't what's in store for me whenever I deal with DVDs made on my VDR:

Comment

• uufta
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Dec 2005

As a fellow Panasonic DVR owner, I feel your pain here is a good place to whine.

Comment

• Westly32
        • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by ulTRAX
        I made some recordings on my DVD-RAM DCR thinking they were just ordinary DVD files. So today when I finally got a new DVD burner with DVD-RAM I tried to open a file in DVD Shrink. Needless to say it would not open. It has a different file format. It has two small .BUP and .IFO files and one large .VRO file.

Is there any way to convert DVD-RAM video files to DVD format?

Thanks!
        I have a Panasonic set top dvd recorder as well. And have had no problems with RAM discs because the pc came with Sonic's MyDVD software installed. I hate it and rarely use it, but it is compatible for importing RAM content from a disc, and editing it to create a dvd-r. Since your new burner is one of these Super Multi Drives that can handle RAM, what software was included? Was this burner added to an existing pc, or did you get a new pc? Either way, since it's RAM capable, it should have come with software that will handle it.
        Other dvd authoring software that works with RAM discs are
        -TMPG DVD Author Pro, Ulead, and Nero. Each offer free trial periods, so if by chance your new burner came with no software included, go to download.com, and enter those into the search box.
        Last edited by Westly32; 7 Jul 2007, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• ulTRAX
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by Westly32
          Since your new burner is one of these Super Multi Drives that can handle RAM, what software was included?
          It's a Sony DRU830a and it's turning out to be quite a dog. Even after a firmware and ASPI update I can't get it to booktype +R to ROM... and to do simple tests on burns in Nero Speed I have to go into PIO mode. Sony's saying it's defective.

Either way, since it's RAM capable, it should have come with software that will handle it.
          Is has the Sony disk but Since I already have Nero Pro 7 I didn't install anything... and never will since Sony includes RipGuard which limits rips to 2X.

Maybe there's something in Nero that will play that file. I was just in shock that it would not open in Shrink. I'll also check out Sonic's MyDVD.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

nero or imgburn should bitsett dvd+r's with that drive

ASPI update
            can hose everything?

Comment

• ulTRAX
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
              nero or imgburn should bitsett dvd+r's with that drive
              All I know at this point is that the option isn't available in Shrink and the +R disk burns are booktyped as +R.

As for the ASPI... I don't know what first got the drive to work. When I first installed it, it would not even play store movies. Nero Show Time gave me a CSS error. It did burn a disk but it would not open in Shrink, Nero Speed, DVDInfoPro etc.

As for the ASPI... the "updated" version is from 2002. Ya, I had one from 12-01. What sorts of problems can such updates cause?

Comment

• ulTRAX
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Jan 2005

I could not find anything in Nero that would convert this DVD-RAM video nor was there a trial for Sonic Any DVD. I tried DVD Santa and it did accept the .VRO file and it spent 90 minutes encoding. I started with a 1.5gig .VRO for and Santa turned it into a 150meg DVD compliant file that was nothing but a dark screen. ROTF

Comment

• Westly32
                  • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by ulTRAX
                  I could not find anything in Nero that would convert this DVD-RAM video nor was there a trial for Sonic Any DVD. I tried DVD Santa and it did accept the .VRO file and it spent 90 minutes encoding. I started with a 1.5gig .VRO for and Santa turned it into a 150meg DVD compliant file that was nothing but a dark screen. ROTF
                  When I used the trial version of Nero about a year ago, it imported from RAM discs into the project workscreen. What version do you have?
                  -TMPG DVD Author Pro 3, Ulead, and Nero are the ones I mentioned as having free trial periods. While the new version of TMPG likes to encode everything, I've noticed that content from DVD_RTAV files takes the least amount of time. It's created 2 hr discs using material from my Panny set top recorder in less in 40 mins. So definately give that one a...try.

Comment

• ulTRAX
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by Westly32
                    When I used the trial version of Nero about a year ago, it imported from RAM discs into the project workscreen. What version do you have?
                    I have Nero 7 Ultra. While I didn't find any nero program that would import the .VOR video files I realized that I also don't have the manuals. So I'm just downloading them. Which Nero program did you use?

-TMPG DVD Author Pro 3, Ulead, and Nero are the ones I mentioned as having free trial periods. While the new version of TMPG likes to encode everything, I've noticed that content from DVD_RTAV files takes the least amount of time. It's created 2 hr discs using material from my Panny set top recorder in less in 40 mins. So definately give that one a...try.
                    What's funny about this is that there's just one show I recorded on DVD-RAM than I want to keep. Once it's exported to regular DVD... then I don't even need a DVD-RAM burner. It it's going to give me this many problems I'll return the 830a and buy a cheap non-RAM IO Magic burner to hold me over until I buy my next PC which will probably be this year.

Comment

Working...