Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oregano
    • Sep 2007

Please help? re: losing Nero audio

Thank you in advance for reading this. I'm at wit's end trying to finish a project, now almost a week overdue because of lost audio. Please, please, I really hope you can help.

Why am I losing some of the audio in my Nero Vision project when I go to burn it? It's there before the burn, and it's there when previewing with the Nero virtual remote control, but after the burn certain pieces of audio are missing.

The project is a compilation of various video and audio stuff and none of it is copyrighted. The part that is losing sound after burning came from analog 8mm video transferred to DVD and then imported to Nero. It has sound and the sound is fine while making the project in Nero, but somewhere in the process, just the audio for those segments gets lost during burning. Other audio and video segments imported to Nero from DVD do not have this problem, only the bit that was originally analog is losing audio -- as far as I can tell. My assumption is that the embedded audio of that [originally analog] segment needs recoding to a format that is compatible with Nero, but I don't know how to do that. Can I recode the entire project at once so all audio segments are on the same platform? Please help me. The Nero Manual is... shall we say... not helpful.

I hope one of you kind people can please help me solve this audio problem.

Thank you so much.

Appreciatively,
    "oregano"
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

welcome to the forum

download this program
    MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files

if you rightclick on one of the problem files(source before vision alters it) it should show the audio properties of the file

maybe that will furnish a clue

you have to use text view

Comment

• oregano
      • Sep 2007

Thank you, Chewy. I really appreciate your help.

SourceForge shows the source .mpg file containing the problem segment as being an MPEG-2 having AC3 audio. The finished project (i.e., the complete burned compilation that is missing some audio) shows up as an MPEG-4 having AAC LC audio.

Is this why I am losing some audio?

How can I correct it?

Thanks again for your kindness and guidance. Here are the MediaInfo results from SourceForge:

Here is the MediaInfo for the file that is losing audio at burning:

General #0
      Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Grownups\My Documents\NeroVision\ImportedVideo\8-30-2007 14057 AM.0001\VTS_21.0001.mpg
      Format : MPEG-2 Program
      Format/Family : MPEG-2
      File size : 1.72 GiB
      PlayTime : 51mn 49s
      Bit rate : 4738 Kbps
      Video #0
      Codec : MPEG-2 Video
      Codec profile : Main@Main
      Codec settings/Matri : Standard
      Bit rate : 6125 Kbps
      Bit rate mode : CBR
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 480 pixels
      Aspect ratio : 4/3
      Frame rate : 29.970 fps
      Standard : NTSC
      Chroma : 4:2:0
      Interlacement : Top Field First
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.591
      Audio #0
      Codec : AC3
      Bit rate : 256 Kbps
      Bit rate mode : CBR
      Channel(s) : 2 channels
      Channel positions : L R
      Sampling rate : 48 KHz
      Video0 delay : -66ms

Here is the MediaInfo of the burned project that is missing some audio (only missing the audio from VTS_21.0001.mpg, as noted above):

General #0
      Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Grownups\My Documents\My Videos\My Videos.mp4
      Format : MPEG-4
      Format/Info : ISO 14496-1 version 2
      Format/Family : MPEG-4
      File size : 4.11 GiB
      PlayTime : 2h 46mn
      Bit rate : 3538 Kbps
      StreamSize : 8.83 MiB
      Encoded date : UTC 2007-09-04 21:55:44
      Tagged date : UTC 2007-09-05 01:53:27
      Video #0
      Codec : MPEG-4 Visual
      Codec settings/BVOP : Yes
      Codec settings/QPel : No
      Codec settings/GMC : 0
      Codec settings/Matri : Default
      Bit rate : 3452 Kbps
      Bit rate mode : VBR
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 544 pixels
      Aspect ratio : 4/3
      Frame rate : 29.970 fps
      Resolution : 8 bits
      Chroma : 4:2:0
      Interlacement : Progressive
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.294
      StreamSize : 4.01 GiB
      Writing library : em4v 4.1.6.5
      Audio #0
      Codec : AAC LC
      Codec/Info : AAC Low Complexity
      Bit rate : 78 Kbps
      Bit rate mode : VBR
      Channel(s) : 2 channels
      Sampling rate : 44 KHz
      Resolution : 16 bits
      StreamSize : 93.0 MiB
      Chapters #0
      1 : 00:00:00.000 - Chapter 1

-----

To reiterate, all of the audio is fine on preview. The problem occurs at burning. As you can see, it is a fairly large project at over 4 gigs and almost 3 hours in length. Yes, many, MANY hours have been invested in waiting for unacceptable outcomes. Your help is hugely valued. Thank you again.
      What next? I do think I have enough coasters already. ::weak grin::

Gratefully,
      "oregano"

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

you have lost me, of course that doesn't take much since I am just getting started in all this

why are you outputting in mp4?

Comment

• oregano
          • Sep 2007

Chewy asked:
          why are you outputting in mp4?
          Ummm... I am embarrassed to say that I don't exactly know? After struggling with this for a week I have to admit that some of details are a bit blurry now. I think the rationale for outputting to mp4 was to save it to my hard drive as a Nero Digital file, but that was after earlier attempts to burn it to DVD were unsuccessful (it burned, but some audio was lost) -- so at that point I basically tried everything in desperation. None of my tweaks so far have rendered a product that I can use. It's awfully frustrating.

I had to download a Dolby codec for a different segment of this project and I wondered if Nero was thus unable to automatically encode each segment in its proper container.

Sounds like I should try again, this time outputting to MPEG-2? (I swear I tried that before, but will try again if you think it might help).

Thanks for having a look. I welcome input from others as well, if anyone has tips or tricks to share.

Perseveringly,
          "oregano"

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

with a project like yours I might be tempted to use dvd flick and do the segments individually, setting a custom target size that fits the time of the file

for example, that 52 minute problem one and shoot for a output size of say 1.5 GB and save to hard drive

then check playabilty of that title

then use a reauthoring program to join titles into one burnable compilation

vision is great when it works, the problem is getting it to work most of the time

Comment

• oregano
              • Sep 2007

Thanks, Chewy. I've been thinking about Flick and whether or not it will help. The worst issue I have with handling segments separately is that the 51 minute monster is actually split into several segments that are strewn throughout the total project. For that reason I would like to somehow recode the total project's .nvc file in Nero to one consistent audio format, rather than having to reimport the 51 minute segment as one giant unsplit segment and then having to re-edit all of it (or would changes to the audio of the source file not affect my current storyboard/timeline layout in Nero? I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance now.)

Other than a small project in Windows Movie Maker I have little experience. I bought an external DVD burner expressly for this project. Nero came with it. As I understand WMM doesn't recognize/support DVD, I was stuck with Nero. It was great until I hit this snag.

So... if I use Flick, wouldn't I have to retool each and every portion of that split and strewn file? Can I simply take the whole project instead of individual segments? The only file I have of the project with the complete audio is the .nvc file. How can I reauthor it?

As it now stands in the .nvc file and on preview, the complete movie project is PERFECT. I just can't do anything with it.

Thanks for your continued efforts to help me, Chewy. How very cool of you.

Cordially,
              "oregano"

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

what version of nero and vision are you running?

has it been updated?

have you installed ffdshow?

Comment

• oregano
                  • Sep 2007

Chewy asked:

what version of nero and vision are you running?
                  I am running Nero 7 Essentials and Nero Vision 4 (version 4.9.7.2).

has it been updated?
                  Yes? Nero prompted me to download a Dolby codec for one of the segments (no problems with that part). I recall that I had to uninstall the prior version and reboot, so that must have been for the update. I have not purchased the upgrade to the Full version, however. Elsewhere, I've read of users having to purchase an MPEG-2 plug-in, but I don't know if this might apply to my situation as well. I don't want to buy anything more unless I absolutely have to.

have you installed ffdshow?
                  I looked at it last night but haven't installed it yet. What will it do for me?

Thanks a bunch, Chewy.

Optimistically,
                  "oregano"

Comment

• oregano
                    • Sep 2007

Okay, I think I'd like to go ahead with ffdshow. It sounds like just the thing I need. But, before I download it, which one should I choose?

On rereading the "No sound or no video? Read this first" post from above, UncasMS recommends downloading the latest version of ffdshow. The link in that post goes directly to a Daily Builds page. The latest version listed there is 20051129.exe, but when I click in the left margin on the tab marked "Getting ffdshow - SourceForge download" the latest version on that page shows a release date of 2002-06-17.

Should I download the 2005 version from the Daily Builds page or the 2002 version from the Getting ffdshow page showing ffdshow latest releases?

I'm tempted to use the Daily Builds 20051129 file for two reasons:
                    1. The post by UncasMS points to that page.
                    2. It appears to be over 2 years newer than the version showing as the "latest release", dated 2002-06-17, which I found under the "Getting ffdshow - SourceForge download" tab, and UncasMS instructs users to get the most recent file.

So, should I go for the ffdshow Daily Build 20051129.exe?

Apprehensively,
                    "oregano"

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

get the latest, it has always done well by me, fixed my older vision 3 with a lot of sound problems

Comment

Working...