X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrazyLegsMC
    DivX GOD
    • Nov 2001

Xbox: The answe to our divx prayers??

Well I was reading an article about how a mod-chip for the xbox has been made, and is soon to be readily available to the public, if its not already out now.

In the same article was a link to an xbox hackers forum and it seems that they have a LOT of projects in the works for the xbox and all the hacking they can do with it. One such hack will be to 1) Copy and encode DVD's on the xbox's big HD. 2) Another is that apparently DivX compatibility is near perfection and should be implementable soon. That combined with the xbox-pc networking that Microsoft is working will mean you could rip, encode, and watch divx via your xbox on your TV. Basically this will be the DivX Player that people want, and at a huge discount price.
  • Mark Madness
    • May 2002

That is certainly a useful implementation. However, will there be certain limitations? For example, the DivX mod for the Sega Dreamcast was limited to a resolution of 480 x 400 or less or something around that and it could not support very high bit rates. Most of my DivX movies are encoded at 1600 kbps or more at a resolution of 640 x 480. It would be great if it can support this.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

If I recall correctly the xbox has something like a 700 mhz celeron processor.

If properly implemented, this should be enough for most resolutions, except maybe 704*400 at 2000 kbs or above.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Mark Madness
        • May 2002

excellent...

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I doubt you can see much difference on a low-res TV though...

Comment

• Mark Madness
            • May 2002

That isn't really my concern though. It's just that up until now all my DivX movies are encoded this way. I was just curious if I would be able to use them.

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Interesting prospect . Wouldn't simple tv-out be better though?

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Interesting prospect . Wouldn't simple tv-out be better though?
                For my case, yes! Because I don't own an X-Box (Nor do I ever plan to get one), and I own 2 systems with TV-Out ports. I have never used them though, so when I decide to use it and need help, I know where to look for.

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

I'm planning on purchasing a decent system (with tv-out) this fall, time to finally catch-up with the world

An X-BOX seems to be an uneccesary expense for me, (I'm not such a big gamer), and PC games are good enough for me

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

My project : 60" HD (1080i, 720p or if available, 1080p) Plasma screen connected to a Intel P4/AMD XP + GeForce4 box + 7.1 channel digital surround sound system for widescreen video and gaming.

Current project status : got the hammer and nail to hang up the plasma screen.

Current funds available : Got the money for everything, except for the plasma screen and the Intel P4/AMD XP + GeForce4 box. I also need money for the digital surround sound system.

Predicted project completion date : Right around the time when people start throwing out everything I've mentioned above because they are too outdated.

Last edited by admin; 3 Jun 2002, 02:04 PM.
                    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Good joke there, admin.

Seriously, you don't need a top-end system for TV-Out DivX playback system. A decent PIII/Celeron system with sufficient RAM and space for Windows (), added with a decent graphics card (a TV-Out capable ATI or Matrox card will make you happy), will do. And a pair of good headphone will make you and your neighbours happy. My 2-cents worth...

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

Wow, admin, you're just like me, we both dream big Everything costs too much doesn't it?

I'm working on getting a new decent PC (by the fall), a P200 just doesn't work anymore

Seriously, a plasma screen would be awesome, much better than LCD, and at that magnificent size.

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

I've found that lately, I've been finding excuse to go to the local electronics store just to stare at their plasma HDTVs. The CRT HDTVs don't look half bad either. As for overkill, I saw this story in a PC magazine which this guy who spent about $US 150,000 on his home theatre system, and the whole system is controlled by your everyday mid-high range $US 2000 P4 computer system with Windows XP. A digital projector was used.

As for DivX PC - I've been meaning to build one myself one of these days - thinking about getting one of those OEM base boxes (just a case, power supply and motherboard), add in your own components (CPU, DVD-ROM drive, HDD, a decent graphics card w/ TV-out, and plenty of RAM, considering how cheap they are now). I am thinking about having this box as my game/DivX machine, which also doubles as a DVD player and music system. I would like to network this baby to my main computer, and for them to share a broadband connection, which adds Internet functionality to the box as well.
                          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Batman
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2002

I've never actually seen a plasma monitor (except in magazines and dreams). I still manage to take dad over to our local tech retailers, where I drool, wow, and amaze over LCD's, haven't quite gotten over them yet

I'd want to build my own system, Dad won't agree (I'll need his help). He prefers to buy 'em. But I don't think its that tough, I think it would be fun, and a great learning experience.

Here's what I'm aiming for, right now its priced at $1900+taxes, but the price should drop to $999 or $1200 (and I'm waiting for that):

128 mb Graphics Card Geforce something Vivo (tv in out)
                            P4 2.26 ghz (with 533 mhz bus)
                            and of course 512 mb ddr ram
                            cd rw 40x
                            dvd rom drive 16x
                            19" flat monitor (crt)
                            windows xp home

I think its pretty decent, 'cept the price.

Plasma tv I think 50" seels for $13000 cdn, its not that "expensive" well actually it is, if you put your mind and wallet to it, I guess.
                            Last edited by Batman; 4 Jun 2002, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...