Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jn64
    • Nov 2007

Confused about MPEG capture

I have been studying the various ways and products for creating DVDs of fairly short-lived very fast action sport performances, recorded with standard DV camera. Maybe needless to say, but have become really confused in the process! Ideally, I would like to capture in high quality and in such MPEG2 format that it is compatible with as many DVD players as possible. There is no editing of the clips, and maybe just one or two menus authored in.

Googling around, the general wisdom seemed to be that raw AVI capture is best and then encode to mpeg afterwards, using a CPU heavy multi-pass method (TMPGEnc or similar).

However, is that old hat now? For instance, with a typical modern dual core laptop, Nero Vision 7 seems to be quite capable of recording in MPEG2 directly, either with the "MPEG2" or "DVD" capturing template. I have now tried to compare that with the output from hardware encoder (Hauppauge) but I dont see any noticeable difference, either in quality or CPU consumption. Is that because such hardware encoders are actually targeted for analog input (composite/S-video), and do not give much added value when compared to DV camera and firewire/1394 output?
Working...