Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonysmith1929
    • Nov 2005

Loading xp on older pc

I have a 'spare' older pc with win 98 on it, which I bought as 'barebones' with instructions on loading 98. This included loading win 98, then loading graphics and sound software as MB had these onboard, not seperate cards.
    If I format and load XP. 1. will I still need to reload this software, and 2 , in the same order, or will this foul up XP ??
    Or 3, would Xp possibly not need these extra drivers.
    Sorry if this sounds a stupid question.
    The old machine was never overworked, and gave no trouble, plenty of HD space, but only 256 Ram.........
    Only reason for changing is lack of some software for periferals...... Thanks......
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

with only 256kb ram i would NOT think about using xp

pls give it a second thought!

Comment

• tonysmith1929
      • Nov 2005

loading xp

What about if I up the ram ????

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I ran xp with 256 megs of ram for a while, that's when I learned the "power user" tweaks, however newer apps have come along and every year they get more and more
        ram hungry.
        Video memory can be critical for XP, it's awfully slow with less than 16 megs. For 8 meg video I tried to stick with W2k.
        When loading Wxp/sp2 just check device manager after the load and only update/install drivers for needed items.

The cpu needs to be at least 600Mghz or higher.

Comment

• tonysmith1929
          • Nov 2005

xp on old machine.

Thanks Chewey & Uncasms, between you, you have convinced me this is a no no. Thanks anyway, and Happy Xmas to you all......

Comment

Working...