• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

CD White Surface vs Silver Top

Hi folks,

I know we mostly talk about DVD and associated stuff here ... but I was wondering if some of the Regulars here would give me their experience on my following Q ...

Q1: Would White Inkjet Printable CD provide a better Protection vs the Shiny surface ones?

What I mean by "better" protection is for writing with Sharpie on it ... since both White & Shiny CDs are on sale so it does not make any difference cost wise ... AND I am NOT planning to Print on the white printabel ... will use good old Sahrpie on them.

Q2: Now, I have heard and remember reading about the White printable CDs produce "more dust" ... can anyone explain why is that or if they have experienced it?

Q3: Any Pros and Cons on the 2 types?

OH, BTW, I need answers by tomorrow (Jan 30, 2008) since the "SALE" will be over.

Talk about demanding ...

Thanks,
    G!
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

never have white top CD but white top DVD are never good
    sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

either should be fine, depending upon the brand they may be cruddy or just totally crap

taiyo yuden make the only good cd-r's, verbatim and sony are just ok

leave them out in the sun or expose to moisture and they all die

the white might have an extra layer of protection on them as the silver is usually a one layer that has to be on the top of the disk to be the reflective coating?

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

night, even TY's?

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

I bought few spindles they are ok but not even close to the sony 8x + they are the best then the -, the verb TY is the best of all kink not count T 01, I only got one Verb TY 02 which a friend send from VN
          sigpic

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

I have used both in CD and DVD disk.

I prefer the non-white version for backing up the entire hard drive and for backing up folders and files. Writing on the disk surface works well with a felt tip pen.

I use the white version for back up of movies where there will be printing on the disk. But even a non-white version with stick on white labels PROPERLY CENTERED AND BALANCED also works well.

I think you should be more concerned about the quality of the disk, speed rating of the disk, in CD and DVD. And don't worry about the dust thats what you have CD regular and slim line cases for and DVD cases for.

My priority for purchase of CD/DVD disks:
            1. quality of the disk
            2. speed rating of the disk
            3 price of the disk
            4. format of the disk (prefer plus)
            Last edited by ed klein; 31 Jan 2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Hi Guys,

As usual you folks came thru ... THANKS for the tips.

I am going with Shiny ones ... I should have gone with my 1st instinct.

Thanks again,

G!

Comment

Working...