X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Negative Feedback On Samsung LN-T4071F HDTV

I purchased a Samsung HDTV LN-T4071F in December 07.

Two days ago I tried to do my first firmware update on this HDTV

Samsung method of firmware update on this HDTV is using their firmware update version from their website using a flash USB drive.

This file is downloaded to your desktop and then un-ziped to the USB drive and then loaded on the HDTV

Got half way through the firmware update and everything turned off.

Could not turn the HDTV on.

The service tech for Samsung told me this is not uncommon for HDTV it happens approximately 25% of the time.

The HDTV is still under warranty, but really Samsung if I can't do a firmware update on Samsung HDTV's what good are they?

I don't think I will be getting any more Samsung products.
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

that sucks what if u need firmware update and u feeling good bout it and it fails and u realize ur 3 4 months over warrenty
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

I always believed that a manufacturer shouldn't give you a way to upgrade the firmware without giving you a way to restore the defaults and/or previous state. Turning a working piece of electronics into dead weight is the ultimate bummer! That's why even updating a burner I wait until the update has been out for awhile and google around for problems before hazarding the update.

Comment

• copyless
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
        that sucks what if u need firmware update and u feeling good bout it and it fails and u realize ur 3 4 months over warrenty
        It should be that any manufacturer that puts out a FW update for any product like that has to give support for the product no matter how old it is, like MS does with SP's, or Mile's suggestion.

I mean that is crazy, (luckily you are under warranty) but like At said, what if your not, and then to find out that somewhere around 25% have the same problem, no way a company should not have to fix the problem caused, warranty or not.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

Unfortunately some manufactures do not see it that way. It is update at your own risk. 25% failure rate, that is sad.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

Latest updates from the Samsung USA central states service rep.

I got the HDTV back from the Samsung service rep late yesterday. Their turn-around and technical ability was super great. They had to put what he called a new main electronics board in the HDTV and updated the firmware codes to match the new main board. He told me you should not have any further problems updating future firmware updates now they checked matching codes on the new main board and firmware updates and then do match now.

Some othe information he told me:

1. Approximate only 10% of the people who own HDTV do firmware updates,
            and approximately 25% of the 10% fail for what-ever reason. Samsung is aware of this and it is a cost issue, Samsung would rather pay and fix the problem after the fact, then to build a more tolorance tigher fit electronics HDTV from the factory. If it gets too out of hand then Samsung stops manufacture of the model.

2. He told me Samsung lets him determine on problems like this firmware updates as far as warrenty time frame usually 1 year plus 3 months if the customer did not cause the problem and it is a factory defect. If it would have been an out of the pocket cost of approximately $300 to $350 to replace the main board and labor.

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

Well at least you have gotten your problem fixed. Looks like Samsung stepped up to the plate and they did take care of you with your problem.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...