X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAFT
    Slightly Stupid
    • Aug 2004

Gaming Laptop

I haven't been in here in a very long time but figured if I had a question about comp specs this was a good place to ask. I have 3 comps in mind, 2 of which are on the higher side of what I am willing to spend and one is more reasonable but alittle too "flashy" for me (mostly the color and lighting displays).
    here are the specs of the 2 sager models:
    NP8660
    - Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1680X1050)
    - Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P9600 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB[+$165.00]
    - Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory
    - Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition[+$80.00]
    - Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 2048MB[+$65.00]
    - Primary Hard Disk Drive: 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$45.00]
    - Optical Drive: 2X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software[+$165.00]
    - Wireless Network Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
    - Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.0 + EDR Module
    - Intel Robson Technology: Intel 4GB TurboMemory Module[+$85.00]
    - Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
    - Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
    - Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
    - Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty with Three-Day Shipping Both Ways Paid
    - Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag
    $2,104.00 $2,104.00

NP5793

- Chassis Color: Silver Trim
    - Display: 17" WUXGA LCD with Matte Finish Surface (1920x1200)
    - Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.50GHz, 800MHz FSB[+$225.00]
    - Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory
    - Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition[+$80.00]
    - Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 2048MB
    - Primary Hard Disk Drive: 320GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$45.00]
    - Optical Drive: 2X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
    - Wireless Network Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module[+$25.00]
    - Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth Module
    - Intel Robson Technology: Intel 4GB TurboMemory Module[+$85.00]
    - Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
    - MCE Remote Control: Compact Media Center Remote Control & IR Receiver, fits in Express Card slot[+$45.00]
    - Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
    - Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
    - Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty with Three-Day Shipping Both Ways Paid
    - Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag
    $1,804.00 $1,804.00

Asus G50VT-A2 Notebook

Screen Size: 15.4 Installed Memory: 4000 Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Networking: Ethernet (10/100/1000 Mbps), Wireless Ethernet - IEEE802.11 Draft N, Wireless Ethernet - IEEE802.11a, Wireless Ethernet - IEEE802.11b, Wireless Ethernet - IEEE802.11g Aspect Ratio: 16:10 Display Type: LCD Display w/ Glossy Screen Interface Type: Audio - Line In (1/8" Mini), Audio - Line Out (1/8" Mini), Audio - S/PDIF (1/8" Mini), Bluetooth, Ethernet - RJ45 Twisted-Pair (XBaseT), FireWire 400/IEEE 1394 - 4 pin, USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0, Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA) Included Drives: BD-ROM/DVD+-RW DL Processor Speed: 2530 Hard Drive Size: 320000 Weight: 99.2
    Price: $1795.00
    Please help me out with this, also if anyone knows of something with these sort of specs at a cheaper price please let me know. I am leaning towards the NP5793 but I would like to do some Vid editing on the machine as well.
    thanks in advance guys, Andy
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    I'm Watching You!!!
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

Take a look at MSI(Micro-Star International), they have some very good offerings at least IMHO. I would get a laptop the has at least a 17" screen and draft N wireless also. Paying $1500 for a laptop that has a 15.4" screen and no draft N wireless included, IMHO is a ripoff. One thing to remember is to stay away from laptops that have Nvidia chipsets and Nvidia video cards. They are having issues with the chipsets over heating and then going belly up, and leaving you with a dead laptop. Or with a laptop with video issues, like having red bars across the screen.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

and save those 80 $ for ultimate ur going for. also 4 gb is fine but i found installing 32 bit on 4 gb is a way to go ... also go for 17 or 16" screen as u need larger laptop so it can desipate heat better for ur monstor.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Hi DAFT,

You are comparing 17" screen with 15.4" ... that aside ...

Go for Sager NP5793 (Clevo M570RU) hands down ... you will love the 17" screen ... and CLEVO got great cooling system ...

by the way .. I don't know where are you getting the Laptop from ... but your Price Quote is a bit on the HighSide ... you should be able to pick this up couple hundred dollars less ... and if you are not living in NEVADA ... no Sales Tax ... then definitely buy your laptop from the following Resller ... ExcellentCustomer Service and Support ... also they have slashed their prices ...

Our blog is dedicated to providing you with the latest information, expert insights, and comprehensive resources to help you navigate the exciting world of car auctions.

BTW, if you are in Nevada ... then post back and I will hook you up with another reseller out of your State!

Post back when you get the lappy.

G!
        Last edited by gonwk; 21 Feb 2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• DAFT
          Slightly Stupid
          • Aug 2004

ok, so I think I'm going with the 5793. I have not seen any systems with the vid that are not selling nvidia in them. I won't be buying till thurday of next week so if you put a link in I will look into it.
          I got the price down to 1740 with the 9300 cpu, 4gig turbomem, 320gighd, went with the premium instead of the ultimate (on your advice atifsh) and I'm putting the 5300 wifi in it as opposed to the 5100 (n capable). that price includes the bag. The only thing i worry about is the FSB speed on this comp. the DDR2 mem is 667 fsb while the 8660 is a blazing 1066 ddr3. I would like to know what you guys think about the turbo mem because I have heard some conflicting views on it.
          Also please give me a link to any laptops that you feel would run better without the nvid card in them. Keep in mind that I am very comfortable in this price range and would not like to leap up a thousand dollars. Thank you all for giving me very good and practical advice, this process is exhausting.
          Last edited by DAFT; 23 Feb 2009, 05:59 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
          I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi DAFT,

Q1: How did you make your Avatar!?!? What software and so forth!

Q2: Do you mean your limit id about $1750!?!? Did I get that right?

Q3: Do you have to have 17" or can you live with 15.4"?

Q4: and the most important Q ... tell us YOUR MUST HAVE in your new laptop ... things that you MUST have! And don't just post a spec of a laptop for us to compare ... so just tell us I have to have Screen Size, ... and so forth.

I also, prefer ATI GPU since darn NVIDIA laptop graphics cards have been having problems of Dye and Heat.

G!
            Last edited by gonwk; 23 Feb 2009, 08:50 AM. Reason: added Q's

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

OK DAFT,

I might have beat you to the punch and have your laptop choice already ... check this out ...

So talk to me.

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

gonwk,

That is the one I keep looking at. I have always liked MSI products. The reason that I like that spectacular laptop it is free from NVidia chip sets and integrated video card.
                Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Hi Doc,

After buying a Compal and having my NVIDIA GPU running at 75F to 83F in IDLE ... that was it I return it for my refund.

I really dispise NVIDIA GPUs ... in a laptop anyway ... they have MAJOR Heating problems.

Doc ... this MSI is really sweet ... if someone has the $$$ ... a P9500 CPU, and ATI R4850M Graphics and Blu-ray Drive ... that sounds pretty good deal.

G!
                  Last edited by gonwk; 24 Feb 2009, 09:42 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• DAFT
                    Slightly Stupid
                    • Aug 2004

I think we are looking at my new laptop. you guys seriously rule. I have been looking at nvid cause it's all i really know (this will be my first gaming laptop. My desktops always go with the nvid)I know honestly nothing about this vid card, but if you guys think this is good deal, and this is a video editing forum, I will take your word for it. I am going to purchase by tomorrow latest so i will let you know how it goes. thanks again, and if anyone knows of a better deal for a ATi LT with similar specs, let me know.
                    gonwk, my avataris actually compliments of Blutac. He's the man.
                    the specs i am looking for are pretty much in ths comp, the only thing missing is turbo memory
                    I'm Watching You!!!

Comment

• atifsh
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2003

asfar i know 4850 is faster then 9800GTS + less heat. so a win win situation little slower then 9800 GTX but im talking bout desktop graphics.
                      Last edited by atifsh; 23 Feb 2009, 09:40 PM.
                      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• gonwk
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by DAFT
                        ...the specs i am looking for are pretty much in ths comp, the only thing missing is turbo memory
                        Hi Daft,

There is a lot of discussion if "Turbo Memory" is worth the money spent on. Most experts say it is a "Waste" of money ... so I would not loose sleep over it.

G!

Comment

Working...