Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DieterTheroux
    • Apr 2009

How realistic is this plan?

Okay I have been thinking of this for a few days and decided to post up my plan.

First off I'm a graphic designer with no experience whatsoever in video shooting or editing (except Windows video maker).

I want to make a professional documentary! Here is my plan:
    - I already have a great subject on my mind.
    - I want to invest around 5K in a professional digital camera and video editing software.
    - I will need to interview 2 people in New York (USA) and 3 people in Mumbai (India) and take videoshots from the local scenery at these places. This should be enough to fill a 30-40 minute documentary about the subject I've got in my head.
    - Then I will edit the shots into a great documentary with the video editing software.
    - If its finished I'll try to sell it to TV stations but I have read already that takes alot of effort but we'll see.

I can imagen that making a documentary is not THAT simple. So what exactly am I overlooking here? At which point will I run into a brick wall?

With kind regards,
    Dieter
    Last edited by DieterTheroux; 26 Apr 2009, 03:54 PM.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Passports, Visas and innocculations?

btw if it's a good idea don't tell anybody. You'll find you run into a "delay" coming home and by the time you get there it's already in theaters.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by DieterTheroux
      ... I want to make a professional documentary! Here is my plan: .... - I want to invest around 5K in a professional digital camera and video editing software. ...
      Hi Dieter,

I assume you are asking the folks here to "Recommend" to you the 2 items that you have mentioned above. Right!?!?

If so, there are few folks here that dabble with Professional Cameras.

G!

Comment

• DieterTheroux
        • Apr 2009

Originally Posted by gonwk
        Hi Dieter,

I assume you are asking the folks here to "Recommend" to you the 2 items that you have mentioned above. Right!?!?

If so, there are few folks here that dabble with Professional Cameras.

G!
        No, I would like to know if making a documentary is really THAT simple? And to know what I am overlooking.

Comment

• DieterTheroux
          • Apr 2009

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
          Passports, Visas and innocculations?

btw if it's a good idea don't tell anybody. You'll find you run into a "delay" coming home and by the time you get there it's already in theaters.
          That shouldn't be my biggest problem ...

I wont tell, dont worry .

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by DieterTheroux
            That shouldn't be my biggest problem ...

I wont tell, dont worry .
            Be careful. I've had Marat Safin steal my jokes!! Mum's the word!

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

Hmm, let's see.
              Aside from having never done this before, having no equipment, or experience with the proposed equipment, I;d say you're all set.

I say that in complete jest because you have left huge, gapping holes in your idea.

5K seems like a number you just picked out of thin air.
              I'm not trying to tell you what not to do, but I do suggest you do a LOT more research before you spend anmoney or get on a plane.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Budreaux
                Hmm, let's see.
                Aside from having never done this before, having no equipment, or experience with the proposed equipment, I;d say you're all set.
                Which is why I fully expect to see his documentary pop up on IFC in about 3 weeks!! Sometimes genius is not knowing you can't do it that way. heh heh

Comment

Working...