X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dqami
    • Aug 2009

Problem w/ HDD Media Player

Hi,

I just got a hard drive media player that works fine on my lcd tv but on a regular tube tv it has a verticle roll on the screen. Anyone know the reason for this and any possible solutions? I bought it to play on the tv since I get crappy HD reception.

Fo those who don't know what the player is, it allows you to install your hard drive to the case which in turn is hooked up to your tv/monitor so you can play movie and music files.

Thanks
  • dqami
    • Aug 2009

I guess no one had an answer but I figured it out myself so I'm posting for others who may encounter this problem.

Somehow the format or signal is different so to get around it I used my vcr which has av inputs. A direct signal from the vcr to the aux on the tv provides a clear picture and by using the vcr signal and routing the hdd into the vcr the signal will be clear as well. I don't know the why but as long as it works I'm good.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

hmmmmmmm, I was thinking maybe it's a case of CRT having overscan while LCD doesn't? I don't know much about it to be honest so I thought I'd wait and see if one of the HDTV aficionados answered.

Hmmmmmm, that may be it. I googled "overscan" and Wikipedia mentioned it as an artifact of CRT tubes. My HDTV is the CRT type with 1080i resolution. Sometimes to be able to see the entire subtitle with hard subs I have to encode with overscan enabled even though it's a 16x9 video.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

I would think it could be a problem with the frequency of the video signal being applied to the TV with the tube. Since he is having a verticle roll issue, the frequency that is being applied is not correct hence the verticle roll issue. It is not able to sync so a constant roll will happen.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

That makes sense. The flat screen would be multi-sync so it can handle CRT sync rate but it doesn't work the other way around.

Comment

Working...