X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Missing FourCC resolved

I thought this was pretty important, so I started a new thread. My problem on the old was that couldn't understand how some of my players could handle FourCC codes that were not installed on my system.

I just got done generating my first video (only 6 seconds, but frame for frame it was mine), and was proud enough to send it to a friend. He promptly e-mailed back that he didn't have the codec, so I sent him mine (DivX V5) along with instructions along with the necessary changes to SYSTEM.INI to complete the install.

He put the codec in the right place and then promptly tried to play it, no SYSTEM.INI changes involved. It played just fine. This is the answer.

It seems that when I bought this box I already had a number of codecs present and properly located ... just not installed.

Of course, Windows Media Player knows all about this and has logic in it to avoid this lack of full install. Hence, it's ability to play anything I downloaded prior to DivX. RadLight also has these "smarts" built in, but other players and VDub do not.

To be fair to VDub, I guess when you are about to be editting a video file, you want to make sure that you are not just going out and searching for some crap for a codec; that the user is fully aware of what he or she is using.

But does any of this to you all have that perverbial Microsoft stink to it that I am smelling here?
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.
Working...