X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Stretching the limits: XCD + OGG + Dvobsub

This is not a guide . . . Just a rough account of what I have been playing with this weekend.

Over at doom9's there has been a lot of news about the emerging XCD format, in particular the mode2cdmaker tool. This tool allows us to write files to CD-r without any error protection. For avi files this is a pretty bad idear, because avi files has next to no error tolerance. This is where the new ogm media file format comes into play. This will allow us to fit a total of 798 MB on a standard 80 min cd-r.

The really great thing about the mode2cdmaker tool, is that it still allows us to use Dvobsub for subtitles. The mode2cdmaker can store files as either Mode2 form1, which is raw unprotected files, or mode2 form2, which offer the same level of error protection as normal mode1 data cd's.

What I have done:

Ogg audio:
    I created an ogg audio file as per this guide:

Video bitrate calculation
    In GKnot I set it for a 800 MB rip, loaded the size of the ogg file into the Audio A size box, set the AVI frame overhead plus 1*ac3, and set the files box to 6 MB to allow for 4 MB subtitles files and, and the fact that we can only use a total of 798 MB not 800. I still need to work on the bitrate related settings in GKnot, my end result was off by more than 10 MB, part of this could be due to divx5.

EDIT: Ok it looks like I messed up my first test quite badly (I forgot to attach the end credits, which account for about 10 MB), My second test hit the target within 1 MB, with the above mentioned settings. But divx5 encodes has been known to be off by as much as 5MB, so the full truth remain to be seen.

Then I encoded this without any audio.

Muxing:
    When GKnot completed the job, I muxed the avi and the ogg file into a ogm file, using this guide.

But without any subtitles and chapters.

Mode2 image:
    Finally I created cd-image file, using the Mode2cdmaker tool and gui.

A guide on this can be found here:

But remember to add the .idx and .sub vobsub subtitles files, to the top box in the gui.
    And make sure to set the movie extension to DAT. When read of the CD, the ogm file must have the .DAT postfix otherwise the riff cd/xa filter won't load when opening the file in wmp.

Burning:
    All that remains is to burn the image to a 700 MB CD-R media. Personally I use nero, but Fireburner, CDRWin and cdrdao, should also work fine.

Some people have reported problems with damaged sectors in the beginning of the cd when writing at high speeds, this might potentially damage the Header of the ogm file. I have used 8x speed recording without any problems.

Testing:
    With all the necessary DS filters installed, both video, audio and subtitles play perfectly, without any sync issues, and seeking is also resonably fast.

I then wanted to know how much damage the cd could take and still deliver resonable video quality, I started by making lots of minor scratches on the cd, this produced a few very visible artifacts in the video, but it was not nearly as serious, as I had expected, given the amount of scratches I had made.
    Unfortunatly this also seems to make seeking in the movie a little harder, wmp would sometimes lockup when seeking. But I had no problems with freeze frames.

Then I added a few deep scratches across the entire disc. It started playing ok, but I got almost constant artifacts, and after about 10 minutes it locked up completly, and crashed my PC.

I'am looking forward, to hearing from any other people testing this.
    Last edited by khp; 24 Jun 2002, 07:54 PM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
  • CHyRO
    • Oct 2002

Any idea how to demux the XCD after completion I've tried Vitrual Dub. I just get a cannot determine file type error message.

Reason being is that I have an XCD and now have an additional driectors commentry. I would like to convert back to ogm. avi file and split between cd's.

Any ideas ??

Ok just realised that it is an ogg stream so I should use the ogg demuxing method with graph edit
    Last edited by CHyRO; 14 Oct 2002, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by CHyRO

Ok just realised that it is an ogg stream so I should use the ogg demuxing method with graph edit
      Yep, you should be able to do, what you want with graphedit.
      Last edited by khp; 11 Nov 2002, 10:19 AM.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...