X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Huffyuv Lossless ("hfyu") codec?

What is the Huffyuv Lossless ("hfyu") codec? I've only heard it mentioned once here, and suddenly I find myself with a downloaded video (from a filter download) that uses it.

I already have a web address from which to download it, but am curious as to why it (not being a common format) was used in a video meant for wide distribution. The author certainly had a reason.
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Just found my answer to this, which I'm posting here because a lot of you seemed at least to be interested in the question.

According to the author (Ben Rudiak-Gould) of this codec:

Huffyuv is a very fast, lossless Win32 video codec. "Lossless" means that the output from the decompressor is bit-for-bit identical with the original input to the compressor. "Fast" means a compression throughput of up to 38 megabytes per second on my 416 MHz Celeron.

Huffyuv is intended to replace uncompressed YUV as a video capture format. It is fast enough to compress full-resolution CCIR 601 video (720 x 480 x 30fps) in real time as it's captured on my machine. Huffyuv also supports lossless compression of RGB data, so it can be used for the output of programs like VirtualDub.
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

You might also want to try this loss-less codec :

In testings I've done, it is slower than Huffyuv, but the compression ratio is better.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• benedict
        Lord of the 4th Estate
        • Jun 2002

Thanks. Just downloaded it and wll give it a go.

I'd better watch it though. I'm starting to become a bit of a "codec collector"! Or is that just a phase we all go through?

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

yup its definately a phase

Comment

Working...