Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jax
    • Aug 2002

Burning VCD's using Nero.

Have managed to download movies from KaZaa and split them into 2 using Virtualdub, when I burn them to VCD using nero the quality at the beginning is fantastic however the picture begins to pulse!! and progressively gets worse to the end of the movie. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong as I am getting more confused by the second??

Many Thanx

Jax
  • Nacelle
    • Aug 2002

Try running them through TMPGEnc on the VCD setting and see what happens

Comment

• Jax
      • Aug 2002

Thank you so much. Worked brilliantly. If you have any other handy hints for a newbie i.e. quality, audio sync, etc it is much appreciated.

Comment

• Nacelle
        • Aug 2002

I mostly do Divx. The only time I do VCD is when I d/l music videos and make one for my wife.

Comment

• Nielchiano
          • Aug 2002

Some hints about (S)VCD:

* I never use VCD anymore, only SVCD. The advantage of SVCD is that you can use "any" bitrate you want, not just the (crapy) 1.4mbps.
          * SVCD also allows you to go in VBR, to adjust the bitrate to the contents, if you watch a static image, it will drop the bitrate to 300kbps or something. If you get in the middle of an air-combat it can go all the way up to 6000kbps, and still keep around the average you specify.
          * VCD DOES have an advantage: the MPEG-1 coder is "free-er" than the MPEG-2.

Always use TMPEG or other dedicated coders.... they give you much more control over the encoding settings (and probabely a better output).

If you realy want to show your friends what you can do with a computer, you can as well make a miniDVD (that's a DVD with menu's, ... but burned on a CD). Since I won't go off-topic here, ask me if you want more info.

Cheerz,
          Nielchiano
          We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

• Nacelle
            • Aug 2002

What's the average length of video in DVD format that can fit on a CD?

Comment

• Nielchiano
              • Aug 2002

If you just mean DVD format, then it can be up to 5 hrs or something... If you mean DVD quality than it's about 15-20 minutes.

If you just mean "reasonable quality" in DVD format (like I do) you can get up to about 30 minutes (HQ) or as much as 60-80 minutes (with "fair" quality)

It all depends on the bitrate you encode at... if you encode at 300kbps, you'll get 5hrs... if you encode at 6000kbps you'll get 17 minutes, ... (DV tools tells you what bitrate to use to fill your CD to the max (TMPEG does so too, but without audio-interleaving and stuff)

Cheerz,
              Nielchiano
              We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

Working...