Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonhx
    • Oct 2002

mpeg chop

Can anyone help I need to chop a large mpeg so I can fit it onto two cds, everywhere I look Im told to use IFilmEdit but I cant download it from anywhere and the authers site www.cinax....etc. is out of action. Are there any other programs for chopping Mpeg?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

tmpeg => file => mpgtools

Comment

• simonhx
      • Oct 2002

THanks

Thanks I never mew that was there!

Comment

• razzhere
        • Oct 2002

I'm experiencing a problem chopping a 1.2GB Mpeg file so that I can put it on two CDs. However, TMPGEnc's 'Merge/Cut' function says it's completed the 'cut' after the first 246MB (about 300MB short of the chosen mark). Another program stopped in exactly the same place.

I believe the movie was originally chopped and offered as 4 individual 'scenes', which I rejoined using a .BAT file and the 'Copy /b' command. But I can't see why this would cause a problem unless the point where TMPGEnc keeps stopping corresponds to the first "chop point" from the original posting.

Any suggestions on this or should I reencode the movie to correct possible errors before trying to chop it?

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

I'd suggest that, if you still have the original four files, you use TMPGEnc to (assuming the four files are of approximately equal time) properly join the first two and then do the same for the third and fourth...

Comment

• razzhere
            • Oct 2002

Thanks for the reply. Using a movie that I hadn't already combined from its 'scenes', I combined and the attempted to "re-chop" that movie. Sure enough...TMPGEnc stopped it's chopping process at exactly the end of the first scene 'segment'. Since I'm not really a newbie at vid editing, I suspected this was the case.

I'm currently re-processing that joined 'Test' vid with TMPGEnc to see if that will "repair" the file so that it can be properly re-chopped. I'll let you know if that works, since it might help someone else later on.

Comment

• razzhere
              • Oct 2002

Well, I am happy to say that my little "repair" test gave positive results. Re-processing the 'Test Movie' through TMPGEnc resulted in a file that I could chop/cut properly.

So, while it is time-consuming (more so for slower PCs like my old PIII 450), this seems to repair/re-index MPG movies that have been previously cut into 'individual scenes' and then rejoined...as is often the case with files posted on Usenet. Particularly with MPG files that are over 700MB in size (such as the 1.2GB file that prompted my original question).

Hopefully this will prove to be helpful information to others and added to the FAQ page.

Thanks again.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...