Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • movienewb
    • Dec 2001

mpeg playback problems

I have several mpeg movies that have the same playback problem. The video is played back with pauses every few seconds and the audio is no where near synced up with the video. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have used media player, real player, and the player that came with my ati all in wonder video card all to no avail. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer me.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Have you created these "problematic" MPEG files yourself, or did you d/l them?

2) Are they MPEG1 or MPEG2?

3) Have you SUCCESSFULLY played other MPEG files recently?

4) Which sampling rate is the audio at, 44,100 or 48,000?

5) Which are you playing the files from, a CD player or your hard drive?

6) Have you shut down all other programs while playing the MPEG?

7) How much memory do you have?

8) What is your CPU speed?

Comment

• movienewb
      • Dec 2001

Yes I have played many mpegs recently. I have an 800 mhz processor and 128 meg ram. These are svcd mpegs I believe. And yes I downloaded them. I have no problems accept with these 2 so far. But I have acces to this new ftp and am now afraid to doanload any more of these till I get this figured out. I have MANY vcd mpegs that play off the vcd themselves or if I copy just the mpeg file to my hd. So again any help is appreciated.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I'm afraid that with downloaded files you have no way of knowing if there's actually a problem with your system or someone just created a poor quality file.

As a "shot", you might want to try the following:

1) Use TMPGEnc's "MPEG Tools" (from the "File" dropdown menu), to do a simple de-multiplex and then exit TMPGEnc.

2) See if the video-only file plays without exhibiting any problems.

3) See if the audio file plays without any problems.

4) If both are okay, re-open TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools and select Multiplex, set for VCD or SVCD, whichever is appropriate. Exit TMPGEnc.

5) Run the new file.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
          • Nov 2001

Or you could try VCD Gear to reconvert the so called MPEG to MPEG again, it takes about 5 minutes and if successfull i can almost garantee that if burnt correct with NERO to VCD will play fine. IF the MPEG files are on disc use ISOBUSTER to extract the file to your HDD, but unclick the 2 boxes (fix erors and something else) and do it frame per frame, ignor any errors it may find, than use VCD Gear to go Dat to MPEG or MPEG to MPEG again.

Cheers

Comment

• movienewb
            • Dec 2001

allright. I will attempt both of your suggestions. And btw this is the kewlest site I have ever found. Thank you so much for being so helpful.

Comment

• movienewb
              • Dec 2001

Well nothing seems to work with these svcd's Any other suggestions will be appreciated

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
                • Nov 2001

You keen saying they are MPEGS and yet also calling them SVCD's ? SVCD = MPEG2, VCD=MPEG....

If they are MPEG files did you use ISOBUSTER to extract the MPEG file off the disc ? And did this MPEG play on the PC at all ?

Cheersd

Comment

• movienewb
                  • Dec 2001

ok. Sorry bout the terminology snafu. I finally solved this problem. By upgrading my version of windvd to 3.1. Now they play just fine. Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"By upgrading my version of windvd to 3.1. Now they play just fine"

You do realize that this is the VERY FIRST mention you've made, in these many postings, of having, or using WinDVD as a player of these mysterious "MPEG" or "SVCD"... never mind, I've just become too frustrated with this thread!

Comment

• movienewb
                      • Dec 2001

Well I appreciate all the help I have recieved here. However i did not ask anyone particular to help me. And if anyone is inclined to get frustrated they may not want to assist a guy calling himself movienewb, as he is obviously a newbie and does not know much. Telling someone new to a process that you are "frustrated" is one of the problems with being a newbie. Some person who has information acting like the person asking questions to solve a problem is an idiot simply because the new individual does not have the information. I have reread the thread thouroughly and see nothing to frustrate anyone. I followed every suggestion step by step. And frankly now that I know that windvd will play virtually every file format I have ever seen, that is what I would suggest to anyone having playback problems. And btw: Thanks for suggesting it in the first place......wait....you didnt did you? Well theres a tip for YOU. No need to be frustrated or act like i'm an idiot. I just gave YOU some advice that you can obviously use. No reply necessary here, let's just not abuse the newbies for asking questions. If you don't want to help, don't help.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"I have used media player, real player, and the player that came with my ati all in wonder video card all to no avail."

"By upgrading my version of windvd to 3.1. Now they play just fine"

I guess you don't see these two statements of yours as presenting differing information, which may have elicited differing suggestions to HELP YOU, do you?

"Some person who has information acting like the person asking questions to solve a problem is an idiot simply because the new individual does not have the information."

So, anyone asking you questions in order to elicit ACCURATE information in order to HELP YOU, is an idiot...
                        and this justifies your rude remarks?

"I just gave YOU some advice that you can obviously use."
                        As Adlai Stevenson said, "When Hell freezes over"... ;>}
                        Last edited by setarip; 1 Feb 2002, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
                          • Nov 2001

Gee Wizzzzz , i thought we were all here to help each other and shair experiences, so what if someone seems to ask a silly question, to them it may not be and who are we to judge what is aood/bad question to ask ?? So i guess provided questions arnt absolutely rediculous and blantenly stupid, i am more than happy to TRY to help in any way i can, cause god knows allot of patient people have helped me in the past

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

Comment

Working...