Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mhk
    • Nov 2002

how do i convert vhs video to dvd

can anybody help me. i want to know if it is possible to convert vhs video to dvd, and if so what do i need to do this. Any help greatly appreciated. many thanks.
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

First of all you need to get the VHS Video captured to your computer. You need a card that can do this, like a Geforce card or a TV-Card like "Pinnacle PCTV" that is able to capture the video. ( Have a VideoIn Port)

You can use VirtualDub to capture the video or what ever program that comes with the card. I would recommend you use VirtualDub (http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...irtualdub.html) and then capturing it to Avi and then converting it to MPEG2 later on with TMPGEnc (http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...s/tmpgenc.html Make sure to get the one that can convert to MPEG2). when you capture you must be sure that you choose the correct Resolution 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (Pal) if you loose frames while capturing then you must lower the resolution, but make sure you only lower the width and not the heigth because you need that to get the best result.

some cards even come with a program that can capture into MPEG2 from the beginning.

When you got the files you want I think (I'm not sure) that the newest version of Nero can burn DVD-disks.

You should be aware that the picture isn't as good as a DVD mostly because VHS is a Lousy format.

I use VurtualDub to capture Video I have a 1333 thunderbird with 512 Mb SDRam and a Pinnacle PCTV Rave and I have trouble capturing in 720x576 I capture in 360x576 and get a good result. but I you DivX 5.02 to capture, if you use Uncompressed Avi or the freeware codec huffyuv (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/huffyuv.html) but you should be aware that these codecs creates very large files, i'm talking 1Gig per 40 second with uncompressed or about the double with huffyuv

If you capture in 360x576 you need to resize when you convert it to MPEG2

Good Luck

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

• mhk
      • Nov 2002

[thanks alot i can now have hours of fun playing about with it once i get the right equipment. many thanks

:

Comment

• sneglen
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Oct 2002

When I Say "about the double with huffyuv" I mean double the time not the GigaByte it might also be more it depends on what you are capturing
        If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded

Comment

Working...