• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim2386
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2002

GKNOT help PLEASE!

I am a former FlaskMPEG user who is trying out Gordion Knot for the first time. I love it, especially for ti's deinterlacing ablilities. I followed the instructions posted in Divx-digest.com to create movies. I ripped them with smartripper, and set the initial stuff right. I set it for 1 CD, on the bitrate page I set it for 112kb audio and hit save and encode after making the other few minor setups. Then when it takes me to the Divx5 /audio 1 tabs, I click the audio 1 tab and hit select and select the AC-3 stream for the audio. It has the number 128 in it....is this a problem? Here's my question, when it's done encoding, I play the video....and video encoded in Gknot and the voices sync up at the beginning then if you fast forward a bit, they'll be off, then fast forward the voices are off by as much as a second or 2 at the end. What am I doing wrong? BTW, I also tried the same movie encoded in divx 3.11alpha in Gknot and I had the same problem. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP j-leemhuis@onu.edu

-Jim
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

your machine might be to slow for playback (what system have you got?)

you might have neglected a POSSIBLE DELAY in the audio section

c.f. my guide:

Comment

• miles6699
      • Nov 2002

out of synch

i have the same problem with certain movies i rip..running a p2 400mhz w 256ram..if you are runing an older unit like mine lower your resolution a little. when you right click on the file check properties/details. in the video format line check the KB/sec. mine wont play anything over 190KB or so...so watch your bitrate.
      If at first you don't succeed get a BIGGER hammer !

Comment

• jim2386
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Apr 2002

I'm running 1.7ghz w/ 380+MB ram so I don't think that's the problem, however I will try encoding with a lower bit rate, thanks.....anyone else have suggestions?

Comment

• jim2386
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Apr 2002

I just checked my bit rate, it was 187....I'll try lowering it sometime and see if that helps......

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

with a machine like yours, you shouldnt have to restrict your resolution!

Comment

• mcdddy
              • Dec 2002

There is a very simple solution

why don't you just choose mp3 custom parameters (experts) for audio 1 then for transcoding parameters select -L -3db -c normal for Azid and --alt-preset 160 for Lame as they suggest in Gordion knot directions. mp3 custom parameters is supposed to save space (variable bitrate) and produce excellent quality. I use this setup all the time and it works beautifully for me.

Comment

• jim2386
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Apr 2002

I tried 160 on cutsom setup and it's still synced up in some spots but not others......does anyone think it could have to do with the interlacing or something!?

Comment

• jim2386
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Apr 2002

here are my exact gknot settings.....

under bitrate:

1 CD 700mb (65 min movie)
                  Audio A 160kBit/s
                  Interleave: 1xvbr-mp3

under resoloution

NTSC
                  NTSC Non- Animorphic 4:3 (it's a full screen TV show so that's y)
                  Cropping disables (since there's nothing to crop lol)
                  I moved the slider bar so my bits/(pixel*frame) = .269 (also have tried anywhere from .17 to .30

Under the Save & encode button
                  Selected output res.
                  Neutral Birubric
                  Fast Dienterlace *the show is interlaced or else I wouldn't useit
                  Noice filter = none
                  Vosub before resizing
                  No extras

After clicking save & encode again
                  Divx 5 tab:
                  Pro features unchecked
                  recalculate checked

Audio 1 tab:
                  Finally Mux checked delay 66ms negative
                  MP3 custom parameters
                  Azid: -L- -3db -c normal
                  --alt preset 160
                  use besweet checked

anyone see anything wrong....I'm starting to get mad this is frustrating to say the least, but thanks for all your help!

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

hmm, i cant see any obvious mistake.

maybe you could try a different way of interlacing?
                    in terms of quality i prefer greedyham to everything else:

how exactly is your file unsynched?
                    is there a constant gap between audio and video or is it growing?

did you try creating the audio file separately and mux it manually in the end?
                    GK's presets should work fine, still i hardly ever go this way but mux audio and video later on with different settings (c.f. the muxing part of my guide).

Comment

• jim2386
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Apr 2002

Hey guys,

First off let me thank you for all the ideas and help. But I think I found something that might help us get to the solution to the problem. The only time the voices and video go out of sync it seems is when I manually move the slider bar to say, fast forward in the movie. I played the movie through without fast forwarding and for the entire movie it seems the things line up. Does this mean my keyframes are messed up? Btw, when I fast forward, the audio is not always the same time out of sync, if it was I woulda just used virtual dub and shifted the audio lol. But I thought this observation was interesting. What think ye all now lol?

-Jim

Comment

• jim2386
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Apr 2002

Ok guys, this is getting odd. A few new observations

#1. If I used virtualdub and resave the video with the video and audio be direct stream copied, my players make it really jumpy while the audio just keeps on playing.

#2. The biggest observation. PowerDivx and Divx player alpha both desync the audio and video when I fast forward while windows media player keeps the audio and video in sync no matter what I do!

Perhaps this means I have sucky players. Can anyone suggest a good divx player? Oh btw, The player that came in the Divx 5 bundle (The alpha player) Won't let me fast forward, it will play but if I fast forward, the time and the bottom switches to zero and the video goes black.

Comment

• mcdddy
                          • Dec 2002

PowerDVD

PowerDVD! Its considered one of the best

Comment

• miles6699
                            • Nov 2002

players

yah i found the divx player to be pretty useless i primarily use wmp 7.01 or asusdvd but i am having some of the same problems as you with wmp. more so with the divx player than any other though (it sucks).
                            If at first you don't succeed get a BIGGER hammer !

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

PowerDVD! Its considered one of the best
                              not for AVI of course!

my favourites are wmp 6.4, bsplayer, powerdivx or zoomplayer

Comment

Working...