Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CharlieHi
    • Nov 2002

Can't play Windows Media Audio V2 in AVI files

Have several AVI files and all but those with WMA V2 play fine.The WMA V2 files were working at one time but I apparently did something to eliminate the capability. Now the video plays but no sound. I've reinstalled both my players WMP 7.1 & DivX Player 2A) along with Windows Media Player Codecs and Div 502 bundle. My OS is Win 98 2nd E. I did find a site which had a codec package which included WMA V2 but it had warings of spy/ad ware included. Thanks for any help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You should be able to find a legitimate free package that includes WMV2 playback ability at Microsoft's download site (Either WMV7 or WMV8 package)...

Comment

• CharlieHi
      • Nov 2002

I again un and reinstalled both players. I then d/l'd and installed the Div 502 Bundle. Acquired Windows Media Player Codecs 8.0 from Microsoft . That group includes Windows Media Video 7 & 8 and Windows Audio (all versions). Couldn't find anything at Microsoft which referred directly to WMA v2. Still no sound on the avi files w/WMA v2. Maybe I'm missing something? Additional help please.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Acquired Windows Media Player Codecs 8.0 from Microsoft"

WMA2 audio is part of this package (Not separately identifiable before installation)...

Comment

• CharlieHi
          • Nov 2002

An explanation for WMP Codecs 8.0 indicated it contained all versions of Windows Audio so I assumed WMA2 was included. However the install of the codecs didn't resolve my problem. Actually I had also installed these same codecs before I contacted you but wasn't very clear in my initial request. I just d/l'ed DivX3.11a from doom9 and those codecs resolved my problem. I now have my sound back. Don't know how I lost it in the first place. Maybe 3.11 was installed and in an effort to update with a newer package the old ones were wiped out????? I'll never know. Thanks for getting me on the right track.
          Last edited by CharlieHi; 16 Dec 2002, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Your re-installing of DivX v.3.11 resulted in the installation of "DivX audio" - the hacked version of the ORIGINAL WMA (NOT WMA v.2).

Be that as it may, congratulations on resolving your dilemma ;>}

Comment

Working...