How to Capture Analog to Computer Newbie Question?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bribri99
    • Jan 2003

Hey guys, yet another newbie..

but i have an analog connection from my ps2, and i want to capture it on my computer, and burn it to a CD only to view it as a movie only on my computer (no dvd involved)...my questions are

1) does the video capture card type really matter in quality or is 30fps and 640 resolution okay?
    2) do i need an expensive program for it?
    3) what will should i record it as? (mpeg, avi, divx) and how?
    4) how much space will it take? (like MB per minute?
    how long will it take?
    5) anything else..

thanks guys so much
    Last edited by bribri99; 17 Jan 2003, 06:09 AM.
  • MrSnail
    • Jun 2002

I'm no expert at all, but I'll try and answer a few of your questions

1) 30fps and 640 resolution sounds good enough to me

2) You can probably download a demo and use that. I think Adobe Preimiere is good for capturing video, as is Pinnacle Studios software.

3) Depends where you want to play it. If you want it just for computers then i recommend DivX avi, but if you want to play it on say a standalone DVD player then svcd would be a good idea, unless your dvd player doesnt support it, in which case vcd would be a good bet.

You could always make two copies in different formats. Check out www.divx-digest.com and www.doom9.org for guides on conversion. You will likely have to save the captured video uncompressed with a program and then convert to the desired format.

4) Depends how you encode it. But I find that 1 minute of DivX avi video is around 9-10MB at around 800kbps average bitrate (if that means anything to you ) - so around 1MB per 6 seconds of video.

S/VCD is usually slightly more as the compression isn't as good.

Hope that helps a bit
    If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Comment

Working...