Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AfterShocK
    • Jan 2003

Sound not matching video

I was wondering what would be the best way if any to correct a problem with the video timeline not matching the audio.

I.E. The sound is ahead of the video. Maybee a little faster than the video. In a . AVI file.

Thanks

AfterShock
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

1. Load up AVI file in Virtual/nandub
    2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
    3. Under Audio, go to Interleave and input the appropriate value in the 'Delay audio track by x ms' box
    4. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file

In the case of the audio gradually getting more and more off-synch from the video, add the following step prior to saving the file:
    -. Under Video, go to Frame Rate and select "Change so video and audio durations match (you should see a value similar to the original frame rate).

Comment

• AfterShocK
      • Jan 2003

minidivx.ax

this mod? i belive is what it is called is crashed virdub, and Explorer? any ideas please.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Opening the file in VD actually crashed the app? How did you create the file (if you created it)?

Comment

• akimboman
          • Feb 2003

I am having a similar problem with audio sync:

I captured a 2.5 hour VHS recording with Virtualdub (huffyuv compression). Result: I noticed that one frame would drop every 3 minutes. There was a noticeable audio mismatch toward the end of the file.

I tried capturing the same VHS recording with VirtualVCR. Results: There was no noticeable audio synchronization problem with the captured file.

Then I compressed the video with DivX 5.02 and just copied the captured audio. Result: No sync problems.

Then I compressed the video with DivX 5.02 while converting audio to 64kbps mono MP3. Result: noticeable sync problems toward the end.

Then I tried to interleave the audio and video for "same duration" as suggested in this thread. Result: It helped a lot, but it's not quite perfect toward the end.

I also tried using Nandub with similar results.

What else can I try?

-----------------------
          pc: Motherboard ECS K7S5A, 768 MB DDR RAM, AMD XP1800+
          capture card: ATI TV Wonder (not VE)

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Then I compressed the video with DivX 5.02 while converting audio to 64kbps mono MP3. Result: noticeable sync problems toward the end.
            This is because most MP3 encoders (that I know of) will, by default, reduce the sampling rate of the audio when compressing at low-bitrates such as 64 kbps. This often results in synch. problems.

What I suggest is for you to use a higher-bitrate. If I remember right, no resampling is done at 96kbps and higher . . .

Comment

• akimboman
              • Feb 2003

Thanks Enchanter,

I changed 64kbps mono to 128kbps stereo - now it's all sychronized.

Comment

Working...