X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • faye
    • Jan 2003

Help with Codec

Hi all,

I think i've installed divx 5 codecs, and also xvid, but i downloaded final destination 2 and used GSPOT to identify the codecs, it says
    S-Mpeg 4 version 3
    what codec do i need? link pls???? thanks
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Try installing divx 3.11 alpha

Comment

• faye
      • Jan 2003

many thanks, will try, do you know where I can find divx 3.1 alpha?

Comment

• gs0666
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Nov 2001

Download the DivX ;-) codec which allows you to make and play DivX ;-) 3.x movies

Comment

• digitaldick
          • Feb 2003

So...did it help?

Hi Faye- just wondering if you installed the divx 3.11 alpha codec and if it made any difference when watching Final Destination 2? I sure hope you will post back with some followup!
          be humble....be wise!

Comment

• faye
            • Jan 2003

I got so frustrated that I deleted it, I think the quality wasn't good (source) anyways, so Im not gonna waste time on it....

Comment

• digitaldick
              • Feb 2003

help with Codec cont........

Thanks for the followup. Unfortunately, since you didn't try to use the divx 3.11 alpha codec we will never know if it would have helped you or not! I have also tried to download this "codec" from the site that was posted by gs0666. When you click on the link provided you get a page that provides 2 options. The first one is to a defunct link. The second is to an Austrailian site, which worked to download a file titled: version 3.11 alpha from mirror link 2. There were no installation instructions so I clicked to open the divx_311alpha file to see several other files but no exe file! So I guess that I must now do a "trial and error" thing to figure out what to do next! I think you did the right thing by just deleting the damn file and move on to the next problem!
              be humble....be wise!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To digitaldick

"so I clicked to open the divx_311alpha file to see several other files but no exe file!"

Amongst the "several other files", there was undoubtedly one with an ".INF" extender. Rightclick on that file to start the installation. I'm quite sure there was also a "Readme" file...

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Re: help with Codec cont........

Originally posted by digitaldick
                  Thanks for the followup. Unfortunately, since you didn't try to use the divx 3.11 alpha codec we will never know if it would have helped you or not! I have also tried to download this "codec" from the site that was posted by gs0666. When you click on the link provided you get a page that provides 2 options. The first one is to a defunct link. The second is to an Austrailian site, which worked to download a file titled: version 3.11 alpha from mirror link 2. There were no installation instructions so I clicked to open the divx_311alpha file to see several other files but no exe file! So I guess that I must now do a "trial and error" thing to figure out what to do next! I think you did the right thing by just deleting the damn file and move on to the next problem!
                  It would be easier if you just download and install a codec pack, such as Tsunami, which will have the DivX 3.11 and a multitude of other codecs available.

Comment

• digitaldick
                    • Feb 2003

Help With Codec......cont

Hi. Just some followups:

setarip: I downloaded the 3.11 alpha from mirror link 2 at divx-digest. It downloaded without incident but as mentioned there were no "instructions", so the user is on his/her own. I always try and find install and uninstall details before I download if possible but not finding any I then look for a "ReadMe" file in hopes help will be found there. This download did not include a ReadMe but did include a .txt file which I opened to find install instructions. A double-click on the register_Divx.exe was what was suggested but nothing "installed" after that that I could determine. There was no entry in the Programs List from Start and nothing appeared in the Add/Remove List either. So I'm not sure if it is installed or it isn't. How can I tell?
                    Here is a list of the files that were downloaded from the click on mirror link 2:
                    Divx.inf
                    Divx mpeg video codec.txt
                    Divx site
                    Divx_c32.ax
                    Divx a32.acm
                    Divx c32.dll
                    Divx c32f.dll
                    L3codec a.acm
                    register_DivX.exe
                    setstereo.exe
                    stereo.txt
                    BTW, I tried installing this in hopes of playing a movie that I have downloaded that will not play. I had originally installed the Divx 5.0.3 Bundle. If the 3.11 alpha is installed, it has made no difference for me. The damn movie still will not play!

Enchanter- The Tsunami "pack" contains several filters that I think are already present on my computer from the Divx 5 "bundle". Could this cause a conflict?
                    Thanks for your interest.
                    be humble....be wise!

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

Could this cause a conflict?
                      not at all

the filterpack and its content has been thoroughly tested.

install it via CUSTOM routine and keep all defaults

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"How can I tell?"

Run VirtualDub. From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Compression". See if the DivX Fast Motion and SlowMotion codecs are listed...

Comment

• digitaldick
                          • Feb 2003

more about that.....

Thanks for the followups.

Setarip- The only Divx listed is the 5.0 bundle. Here is the list of video codecs that are present on my computer as of now:
                          cvid;Cinepak® Codec;1.10.0.6
                          divx;DivX Video for Windows Codec;5.0.3.740
                          iv50;Intel Indeo® video 5.04;R.5.04.15.2.41
                          m261;Microsoft H.261 ICM Driver
                          m263;Microsoft H.263 ICM Driver
                          mpg4;MPEG-4 Video High Speed Compressor
                          mrle;Microsoft RLE Compressor
                          msvc;Microsoft Video 1 Compressor
                          tr20;TrueMotion® RT Codec;2.0
                          ucod;ClearVideo Decompressor Driver
                          vdom;vdowave
                          vivo;VivoActive H.263 Video Decompressor
                          xvid;XVID Mpeg-4;5.0.3.740;No information

< Run VirtualDub. From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Compression". See if the DivX Fast Motion and SlowMotion codecs are listed...>

UncasMS- I understand that the codecs in the filterpack have been fully tested but if the filter pack contains a codec that already exists on my computer, like the xvid, won't that cause a conflict?

Thanks as usual for helping me understand all this!
                          be humble....be wise!

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

UncasMS- I understand that the codecs in the filterpack have been fully tested but if the filter pack contains a codec that already exists on my computer, like the xvid, won't that cause a conflict?

noone will ever guarantee a 100% foolproof filterpack, but i still strongly recommend you install tsunami and have it take care of the codecs

existing codecs will be substituted and reregistered.

Comment

Working...