Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • towno
    • Jan 2002

need help converting dvd to vcd

hi... im very new to the world of dvd conversion , but having followed all the procedures to the letter , and gotten a result , im not sure at each step whether it is working right as ive never done it b4 , ......i have managed to rip a dvd to my hard drive ..(came out in 4 files..is this normal?)
    then i used a frame rate converter. not sure if that worked right, because it took only a second or two to do each of the 4 files, and didnt alter the size of the files or anything.
    then i used flask to convert..chose pal settings, set to decode audio and audio rate to 44000.
    this is where my real question starts....it took 2 hours to convert around 7 minutes of the movie..??? is this normal...surely it cant take this long ....to do a whole 2 hour movie at this rate will take 2 days...or more.
    is this normal ? is there a quicker way?
    please help...
    computer is 667 celleron 128mb ram 20gbhdd
    thanking you in advance ....towno
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"then i used a frame rate converter"

1) For what purpose?

2) Just a guess, but based on what you've described regarding the ultra-slow conversion rate, it's possible that you fouled up your files by attempting to convert the frame rate(s).

3) What version of Flask are you using?

4) What software did you use to rip the DVD?

Comment

• towno
      • Jan 2002

hi setarip... and thanks for your reply...

i used the framerate converter because the instructions i got from
      digital digest in the articles section called "making the perfect vcd" said to use it...so not knowing what the hec i was doing anyway i thought i should follow instructions to the letter..
      i used clad mdec 1.5 ,to rip the dvd..and flask mpeg version 0.594
      with the panasonic plug in.
      and while flask is converting the time remaining at the start is around 70 hours seems a little LOOOOOONG to me ..hehe
      if this is all wrong please let me know what is the right software..

any help u can offer will be greatly appreciated
      towno.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I have no personal experience with the Panasonic plugin (and I'll explain why a bit further along), but it would seem either the plugin or the frame rate conversion is what's creating the unacceptably protracted conversion time.

Although their are MANY ways to arrive at a burnable VCD, I use the following methodology (in part, because I typically also want to create a file in .AVI format):

1) Rip DVD with Clad v.1.71(not MDEC, the one I use is an older, totally reliable version - not to say that the MDEC version is unreliable)

2) Convert to .AVI using Flask v.0.594PX3 (improved conversion time versus "plain vanilla" 0.594 - and less prone to lockup)
        A) Using DivX v.3.11 codec (Fast Motion 910kbps, keyframe every 10 seconds)
        B) Using PCM (uncompressed) audio at 48,000Khz (Maintains synchronization of audio and video)

3) Load .AVI into VirtualDub v.1.4D
        A) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
        B) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
        C) Under "Audio", click on "Conversion", select "44,100Khz"
        D) Under "Audio", click on "Compression" select "MP3", "44,100Khz", "96Kbps"
        E) Save revised .AVI with new filename

Then, to create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
        2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
        3) Click on "Setting" radio button
        4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
        5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
        6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
        7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay)
        8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)
        9) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To creat the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file)

This may sound like a lot of work, but:

A) All the verbiage is reduced to relative simplicity when you're actually DOING these things, rather than reading them, and

B) I believe you'll find the end results to be gratifiying

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• towno
          • Jan 2002

Well........
          Good news ..,, sort of..-- i got the conversion time down from 70 hours to around 10 - 11 (big improvement)...using the software u suggested, but...after 2 days of mucking around with it i have the problem of a movie in avi format with the sound out of sync and am wondering how the hec to fix it..it seems that the sound is around 1.5 seconds in front of the video
          And when i use tmpeg should it take another 8 hours ?..???
          becoming a little worried about my investment in a dvd rom at this stage , because it all sees to be a whole lot of hassle for no reward so far ...
          PLEASE HELP ME SETARIP................
          TOWNO

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"i have the problem of a movie in avi format with the sound out of sync "

I'm guessing that you didn't select "Uncompressed (PCM) 48,000" for "Audio Compression" when you used Flask to initially create the .AVI.

A faster CPU would result in lower conversion times...

Comment

• bigsyd1
              • Jan 2002

i use smart ripper ,2 1/2 hr film 2 hard drive 10-12 mins
              then dvd2avi 10 mins then
              tmpeg around 4 hrs ( set on high quality ) never had a problem works every time
              IT IS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY

Comment

• saxon666
                • Jan 2002

u could try downloadin the divx codec ,and select that codec when you use flask,it worked for me.

Comment

• towno
                  • Jan 2002

bigsyd1....

how can it be so quick for u when the way ive been doing it its taking 12 or more hours....what sort of computer are u doing it on...mine is a celleron 667mhz .i thought that it would be quick enough..

and also when i try to cut my finnished mpeg in half , tmpgenc freezes up .......grrrrrrrr
                  really getting the shitts with this now....

Comment

• towno
                    • Jan 2002

bigsyd1....

how can it be so quick for u when the way ive been doing it its taking 12 or more hours....what sort of computer are u doing it on...mine is a celleron 667mhz .i thought that it would be quick enough..

and also when i try to cut my finnished mpeg in half , tmpgenc freezes up .......grrrrrrrr
                    really getting the shitts with this now....

Comment

Working...