Looking for online tutorial and answers to a few questions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brh986
    • Feb 2003

Looking for online tutorial and answers to a few questions?

I have about 7 or 8 hours of video from a trip I took this summer. I want to edit it and cut out some stuff and put it all together in a new order. I want to add special effects like slow motion, fast motion, and reverse video clips in the midle of the movie as well stuff like subtitles and titles on the screen. The more special effects the better. I'd also like to mix in some music along with the sound track on the actual tape as well as in some spots delete hte original soundtrack and just do all music. I would like it to look as professional as possible and eventually burn it to dvd. I have a JVC DVL-GR120U, Windows XP on an Athlon 1700+ with 512 mb memory and 120 gig space and Adobe Photoship 6.5.

I assume I have everything I need except any clue whatsoever on where to begin. Pretty much the only thing I know how to do is capture and I'm in the process of that. I'm not sure wheather I should be using 32KHz or 48KHz to capture however, for now I've been using 32.

One other thing I'm hoping to do is capture a whole tape at a time so I don't have to sit here and monitor the capturing process and then split it out into different files (for each sort of "scene" on the tape). I'm assuimg this is possible as well and a good way to go out about it? Each tape contains lots of 5, 10, 15 minute sections of tape I want to split out and rearrange and discard some of.

If anyone can direct me to some good tutorials that make it easy for someone that knows nothing about this stuff to learn in a hurry. Thanks.
  • caligula
    • Feb 2003

Yeah, I would like to know how to do this sort of thing to. My main interest is learning how to take my old VHS tapes and put them on DVD. How does one go about doing the video capture? what hardware is required, do you *need* a vid cpature card or can you use a more general purpose card like an ATI all-in-wonder etc.?

P.S. sorry I was of no help here but if I find any good links in my research I'll keep ya posted

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

I got some answers on the VHS to DVD thing. You will need a TV capture card and a program to edit the movie. I have used Movie Maker made by Microsoft but it isn't the friendliest in the world. Also I am guessing the movie that was tapped on the first reply is in MPEG 1 or 2 form?

Comment

• caligula
        • Feb 2003

thanks man, any recommendations on a TV capture card?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

Well there is a lot what really is your price range?

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

Ok I have a suggestion. If you have a 64 mb video card and you are looking for an upgrade with a TV capture ability you can get the ATI All-In _Wonder card. It is brand new with 128mb video here is the link to the site where you can find out more. Tell me what you think. The price is going to be 300 dollars but definatly it is a good price for a TV capture and new graphic card
            ATI All-In_Wonder Graphics card with TV Capture

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

You can also try Dazzle...Its external hardware connects to your USB port...but the new version only feeds video in as an AVI...you need 10 gigs free to get 1 hour of video. ( It lets you edit captured video to MPEG 1/2 afterward). Right now I'm trying to figure why it keeps cutting off at 15 minutes of capture when I'm try to output to my 80gig ext. 7200 HD ( I reformatted it for NTSF from 32FAT...but it still won't run freely thru the firewire. It works great on C & D...but I don't have enough gigabitage free on those drives.) This gets to be an on-going learning process.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2003

See the space is the problem though. That would be great for one devoted 200 gig hard drive you need something that can encode into a MPEG 1/2 that will be small enough to actually keep

10 gig's per hour is more than a darn DVD

Comment

• caligula
                  • Feb 2003

hehe, thanks man, I was planning on buying the radeon 9700 pro anyway (for gaming) so now I guess I'll just get the All in wonder version instead.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

I am glad I could help when ya get it PM me and tell me how it was. If ya need any info on Hardware just tell me and I'll hook ya up

Comment

Working...