• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

LPCM/PCM Conversion

I wonder if anyone out there has heard of a tool to simply convert lpcm audio to pcm so TMPGenc will accept the MPEG? I've been able to mux/demux capture lpcm files with rendered pcm files of the same length to get an uncompressed capture file with in-synch audio that TMPGenc will accept...but it only works on short (sub 30 minute) clips. Capture breaks at 2 gig intervals, and subsequent 2gig video files unidentified ( suppose the info is in the first file.) I've heard of people building a graph using graphedit ( and filters from Pinnacle's T-Rex multimedia file converter.) Ulead Video Studio 6 has a patch that'll work for their product, but Pinnacle and TMPGenc don't.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe MPEG Mediator will accept .VOBs with LPCM audio and (from the "Audio" dropdown menu) allow you to extract the audiostream as Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) format...

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Thanx setarip...but will it work with MPEG's? The DVC-80 is an AVI capture device...and it's file's are transportable to all the popular authoring software...most will allow capture. They'll also accept capture from DV devices. Problem is the DVC-150 captures in MPEG with LPCM audio. If it works with MPEG's it might be the ticket. On demux the LPCM stream was rendered in .wav and the rendered PCM stream as .mp2. Don't know whether this matters, but TMPGenc sure didn't like that LPCM.wav. I'd like to run raw capture through it , use its advanced edit features and render. Now I'm having to run render through just to clip the "noise lines" off the top and bottom and re-render. I'll go check it out.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Problem is the DVC-150 captures in MPEG with LPCM audio. If it works with MPEG's it might be the ticket."

MPEGMediator accepts standard MPEG1 and MPEG2 files, as well as MPEG2-.VOBs...

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

ewwwwwwww. Setarip...don't get mad....I was reviewing Mediator author's notes when I remembered the REAL problem (I had abandoned this project a week ago). I CAN get PCM audio on the uncompressed Capture segment by rendering each 2 gig segment individually...demuxing Video from the Capture and Audio from the Render...then muxing the two. This works for the first 2 gig segment because the video stream carries the information "MPEG-2Video 720x480 29.97fps 8206kbps"...for the subsequent 2 gig segments the Capture video stream is recognized BUT under "information" it's totally blank...and TMPGenc aborts when you try to remux...wont even accept subsequent streams for merge. I know the information is in there...players play the segments individually and Ulead VS6 accepts them in the storyboard (with their patch). How can I get the Video information from the first segment to show up in the subsequent segments? Any ideas?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

I have no idea why additional captured segments wouldn't contain the same header information...

Have you actually tried loading one of these additional segments into MPEGMediator?

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Not yet...I have a long render running on my "power" box where everything is. I'll be able to get to it tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll keep my mouth shut until I do. One thing bothers me going in...the author says it works on standardized MPEG's...heck, If there were standards we wouldn't have these problems. Will let you know what happens.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

I know you're waiting anxiously for a report...loaded a subsequent segment and configured the bbmpeg.prm plugin to give me the header info for MPEG-2. I selected output to a .mpg AND m2v & mp2 ( which is why it's estimating a 8.5 gig output for a 2gig file and a 25 hour run...gotta go to Myrtle Beach today anyway, it should be finished when I get back tomorrow.)

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

Preliminary update: process prematurely aborted saying audio couldn't capture at that high a bit rate. There was an unnamed file on F Drive...gave it a .mpg extension and it played ( though badly out of synch). It was accepted in TMPGenc...header was included in demux ( though info different from that in first segment- 720X544 (not 720X480) 25fps (not 29.97fps) 8929kbps (not 8206kbps)....audio demuxed as MPEG-1 audio layer-2 48000hz 224kbps.) I'm encouraged...just a matter of playing with the settings...and make sure I didn't have the output set to VBR.

Comment

• rsquirell
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Feb 2003

Loaded both 1st segment (with video headers) and 2nd (without). File was merged, output file slightly larger than input, took 5 hours rather than the 29 hours it was estimating, audio converted to .mp2 (PCM). It did have an Error message ("could not get audio data at frame 80566, error code 3")...but I figure that was the last frame...sound from beginning to end...but WAY out of synch (10 sec at beginning and 8min94sec at end...serious stretch.) Checking header it's 25 fps rather than the 29.97 fps in the Raw file video stream...back to settings. It's there someplace. Thanks for the steer setarip.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Thanks for the steer setarip."

My pleasure ;>} (Does that mean I'm a cowboy?)

Comment

• rsquirell
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Feb 2003

Cowboy?...how 'bout a knight on a white horse. Thanx guy.

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

Always happy to help ;>}

Comment

Working...