X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alarmer
    • Apr 2003

Direct show filters??

Hello there.

I was wondering what exactly are these direct show filters?

I never install em , just Divx 5.02 and latest koepis Xvid codec.

Then from zunami pack the AC3 and ogg vorbis + Radium MP3 codec. It seems that all my videos are working well , so what are these Direct show thingys doing, should I install em?

I have downloaded all TNG dvd rips and some of em stutter a bit now and then but very watchable still, could this be direct show related?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"should I install em?"

Don't install any additional codecs/filters if you are presently able to properly play all of your videos. In other words, only install specific filters/codecs on an as-needed basis...

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

ogg ds filters are a must if you ask me.

then there might, however, be people who never care to improve their quality and they might of course stick to divx3 and mp3 forever.

Comment

• alarmer
        • Apr 2003

Ok I have been careful with codecs since I have been thru the Codec hell

But to repeat my question again , what exactly are direct show filters? Are they codecs or do they just improve codecs iam bit confused.

Example in zumamis pack you have divx codec then you have divx direct show filter.

I have latest koepis Xvid installed and some of my TNG episodes have stutter, is this somekinda codec bug or am I missing some filter or?

Comment

• BoF
          • Nov 2001

in fact direct show filters can be codecs (code/decode), splitters or what you want.. they can be used by some applications like players or editors. That's what's done when Windows Media Player plays a media (beurk! - prefer Media Player Classic). a good way to see how it works is to open an avi (should be an ogm, right UncasMS?) with graphedit (M$ tool from the directx sdk) which delivers the graph used to render your file. it shows how ds filters are plugged to each other.
          xvid is a very active project so that last koepis's build can be unstable. try last stable release.
          [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

Working...