X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jella
    • Apr 2003

Tight squeeze and other issues.

I'm new to this, so bear with me...

First of all, I am experiencing problems with using TMPGEnc for converting mpeg files into an svcd-compliant mpeg-2 format. The conversion process is 'successful', yet the outcome file won't play.

Second...someone on this forum once mentioned that they have successfully managed to squeeze a 90-120 minute movie on ONE svcd (700 mb cd-r) without much loss in quality. Whoever this person was, if this can really be done, PLEASE give more specific information on the settings and software used.

Also, I'd like to know if there is a way to create an svcd that will play fine on both PAL and NTSC DVD players. I am getting married in the States and would like to create an svcd of the wedding video for my family in Europe (PAL) as well as the guests and friends here (NTSC).

Any help would be highly appreciated!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The conversion process is 'successful', yet the outcome file won't play."

Have you burned a CD-R as SVCD and tried playing it on your standalone player with output to your television (fro which SVCD is intended) - or are you just trying to play the file on your PC?

Comment

• Jella
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by setarip
      Have you burned a CD-R as SVCD and tried playing it on your standalone player with output to your television (fro which SVCD is intended) - or are you just trying to play the file on your PC?
      Naw, what I did was convert an mpeg file with tmpgenc into mpeg-2 format for later use on an svcd. I did not burn the file onto cd, I tried playing the resulting mpeg file with a standalone player, and it didn't work. I have had this happen before, I don't know what it is I am doing wrong.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I did not burn the file onto cd, I tried playing the resulting mpeg file with a standalone player"

This makes absolutely NO sense...

Comment

• Jella
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by setarip
          "I did not burn the file onto cd, I tried playing the resulting mpeg file with a standalone player"

This makes absolutely NO sense...
          Tmpgenc converts a video file into mpeg2 format. I used it to convert a video clip into mpeg2, since that is the only format supported by svcd, if I have understood this correctly. Tmpegenc creates an output file which is supposed to be in mpeg2 format and hence ready to be used in an svcd project. I see no reason why you would not be able to play such a video file on player software without having to burn it onto svcd.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I see no reason why you would not be able to play such a video file on player software without having to burn it onto svcd."

You are wrong - Without specifically installing (and registering to Windows) MPEG2 filters/codecs, software players (other than software DVD players) DO NOT support playback of SVCD format...

(By the way, a "standalone player" is a reference to a DVD player that is NOT part of your PC setup...)

Comment

• DBCMakura
              • May 2003

Here comes the solution

setarip your damn right man!
              2 Jella: You should try to play the file on a normal DVDPlayer and on a PC of a friend. It might be possibile that you don't have thright codecs or you only have Windos MediaPlayer (which is a piece of ****!) Try other players and the stand alone one.
              I also had a lot of problems with files encoded with TMPEnc to play them on my stand alone player and my PC. It's a tricky business*gg*
              Hope I helped a little
              DBCMakura

Sorry for my grammar. I'm just german!*gg*
              DBC is rockin' tha Universe since 2001 and wont ever stop!!!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To DBCMakura

"setarip your damn right man!"

Why, thank you for that vote of confidence ;>}

Comment

• DBCMakura
                  • May 2003

it's such a pleasure to have good collegues!!*gg*sich verneigt(sorry i dont know how to tell in english!)*
                  DBC is rockin' tha Universe since 2001 and wont ever stop!!!

Comment

• Qyd
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Oct 2002

Try to play the resulting mpeg2 encoded mpg in a software DVD player such as PowerDVD (in 'file mode') if you want to check TMPGEnc results.

Comment

Working...