Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJSooner
    • Jan 2002

AVI playback problems

I posted an earlier question about playing back AVI downloads. My Windows Media Player (V 7.1) will play clips I've already downloaded. AVI, ASF and MPEGS but for some unknown reason, when I try to download any clips now, after the download is finished and I try to play the clip, I get an error message " no combination of filters could render this stream". I downloaded and installed a3.11 and divx 4.12 and rebooted my PC. I tried again to download and PLAY a clip and I still get the same message. OK so I'm a dummy I guess. Any suggestions anyone? Thank you so much for any help !!!
  • abdul
    • Jan 2002

Nobody is a dummy as long as you recognize you have a problem and aren't too stubern to keep it to yourself (THAT will be dumm)

That said:
    It must be a codec-problem imo

Did you answered YES when you installed the 4.12 ? (don't )

Can you play it in another player ?

Is it an SMR release (for that you'll need the SMR-patch)

Comment

• JJSooner
      • Jan 2002

Reply from Dummy

Thank you so much for trying to help. I clicked on NO when prompted about using 4.12 for all replays. The only other player I have is REAL and its not very flexible to manipulate like WMP 7.1.
      Is there another media player that is as good as WMP? I don't know about the SMR patch you spoke of. I'm using AOL 6.0 and I'm wondering if there isn't a problem with that program.I say that because I went from one day being able to play back anything I wanted to, to having this AVI playback problem overnight with no clue as to what changed. I suppose I could reload WMP 7.1 and switch to AOL 7.0. I'm not really sure what to do. If you need more system info to help you just let me know and I'll supply what you need. Thanks again for trying to help me!!

Comment

• abdul
        • Jan 2002

Most likely you still have media player 6.4 on your system

Look for mplayer2.exe (that is the one)
        You can also try BS-Player which is know to use less processorpower

But since you say you can still watch the other clips. i dont think the player is your problem (although trying in 6.4 is worth a shot)

When you get that message (and click ok)............ does it continue to play only the sound, or does it do nothing

What are the properties of the clip?
        Rightclick on the file ---> details
        what does it say for audio
        and what for video

Comment

• JJSooner
          • Jan 2002

Its Dummy again...lol

Yes you're right. I have WMP 6.4. As far as the file type goes, I right-clicked on the file itself in my briefcase and it said MPEG file but didn't elaborate on sound detalis. Its an AVI txt file when you look at the download properities of the file on its download page. When I try to play it, as soon as I click on play, I get the following message. " No combination of filters could render this stream". No sound no picture just that message. The download process itself seems fine until I try to play what I've downloaded. I hope this helps. I'm not familiar with the other player you mentioned so maybe you can elaborate if you think I'd have better luck with it.

Comment

• abdul
            • Jan 2002

When it is an avi file and you rightclick on the file you must get a picture like this:

My excuses for the Dutch, but you get the picture

You are talking about an avi text file ........... i don't understand what you mean by that
            The file has the extension AVI isn't it ?

If you don't get a picture like the one posted then i don't think it is a playable file

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To JJSooner

"and it said MPEG file"

It's probably an MPEG2 file - for which you need to install the iviaudio.ax and ivivideo.ax MPEG2 filters, or install a software DVD player.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

those intervideo filters are (like all other important codecs and filters) part of tsunamis filterpack.

you can find the latest version on my page

Comment

Working...