X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FAR-Q-2
    • May 2003

spiltting large avi file.

Hello,
    I need to find info on how to split a avi file 790mb down to a size that will fit on a couple of cd's. I have virtual dub/ easy cd creator 5 / Panasonic mpeg encoder and i just cant get me head around it, even from the web site it wont tell me how to do it exactley.. is there a web site i getget the right info from how to split it and then continue to convert it to vcd ? From what little i can find out i need to split the file 1st then i can begin to work on the rest. Any advise for the n00b.

Jon.
  • dodger1982
    • Apr 2003

I load the avi into virtualdub and then set selection points at the start and where I want to split the file and then click on save segmented avi. Repeat for the second half and then continue working on the two new files

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Splitting with VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

1)Load your original (DivX-compressed or otherwise) .AVI into VirtualDub or NanDub
      2) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"
      3) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start"
      4) Move slider to approximate halfway point
      5) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Go to next keyframe"
      6) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End'
      7) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie1of2.avi").
      8) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start"
      9) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Move to End"
      10) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End"
      11) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie2of2.avi").

Be advised though, that VCDs are based on running time (just like audio CDs) and NOT filelength. If your 790Meg .AVI runs 80 minutes or less, you should be able to create a conforming VCD that will fit onto ONE CD-R...

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Setarip...will VirtualDubMod split those large MPEG2/AC3 files using the same procedure?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

basicaly yes, the menue might be a little bit different

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

Thanx...DVDSplitter sometimes chokes on DVD files...always looking for better splitting options...thought I'd tried them all.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

Try MPEGCutter v.1.5 (MPEG2CUT.EXE) - It's lightning fast...

(You REALLY should start your own thread when you're either no longer responding to the original poster, or you're raising a [slightly] different question)
              Last edited by setarip; 8 May 2003, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

Thanx setarip...MPEG2CUT performs well, and will significantly simplify/shorten other proceedures I've been working on. Thanx for the heads up. I have another question...but will post another thread for it.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To rsquirell

"Thanx setarip..."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• slveagle
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by setarip

1)Load your original (DivX-compressed or otherwise) .AVI into VirtualDub or NanDub
                    7) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie1of2.avi").
                    11) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" - Save as a new filename (e.g. "Movie2of2.avi").

can see this with pictures at http://www.divx.net.nz/guides/split_avi/

but you can also just use the home and the end key on your keyboard instead of goign through the edit menu

Comment

• slveagle
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by setarip

can see this with pictures at http://www.divx.net.nz/guides/split_avi/

but you can also just use the home and the end key on your keyboard instead of goign through the edit menu
                      Be advised though, that VCDs are based on running time (just like audio CDs) and NOT filelength. If your 790Meg .AVI runs 80 minutes or less, you should be able to create a conforming VCD that will fit onto ONE CD-R...

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• stormin999
                        • Feb 2006

hey i was wondering if u have any suggestions about audio sync probs when i use virtual dub to split avi files?..i get audio thats out of sync with the video..

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

try converting the audio to an uncompressed wav file, then load it, then cut>save avi.
                          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                          Columbo moments...
                          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...