Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazyman
    • Feb 2003

backing up dvd movies into vhs

I have bought some dvd's and want to back them up on to a vhs tape,if i'm correct can't i just connect the red,white and yellow cords to the vcr from the dvd player?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You can, but if that's all you do, you'll create tapes that include the ugly result of Macrovision protection - periodic EXTREME brightening and darkening of the video.

Some standalone DVD players allow you to directly "turn off" Macrovision.

For some other standalone DVD players, there are "hacks" (firmware modifications) that allow you to accomplish this.

For about $40US, there are a multitude of "black boxes" available (you plug them in-between the DVD player and the VCR) that allow you to accomplish this.

Of course, the obvious question is, if you own the DVD, why do you want to back it up onto older technology that will not last as long as the DVD?

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Hey guys...in case you didn't know...DVDxcopy is currently involved in a lawsuit with the MPAA...and you can bet the motion picture industry lawyers are cruising these forums to try to glean evidence to demonstrate to the judge that this equipment is being used to illegally copy their copywrited material. (Personally I'm just practicing what those Hollywood actors profess..."what's yours is mine"...the concept of "intellectual property" implys (1) the concept of "private property" and (2) intellect...neither of which exist under communism.) But since now that you know the movie people are trolling these forums, perhaps you'll understand why Admin nor Setarip will not directly answer you if you ask for aid to do something that might be interpreted as being remotely illegal. We're into "fair use" (backing up our purchased products.)

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

HMMMM....looks like the guy who posted between my post and setarip's withdrew his post. He was asking where to find anti-macrovision equipment. Maybe he WAS one of the MPAA attorneys.

Comment

• JohninTennessee
          • May 2003

Lawyer

Not you can call me a lot of things..Lawyer...Ain't NO WAY...
          Last edited by JohninTennessee; 30 May 2003, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Working...