Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onepotato
    • May 2003

help getting vob to svcd

I have read many post and guides and can't achieve my ultimate goal. Let me first list the programs I use:

1. DVD2SVCD

2. MPEG2CUT

3. VOBMERGE2

4. TMPGEnc

5. Nero Burning Rom

6. PowerDVD

I have a DVD burner and several DVD.s. My goal is to edit these DVD's to get portions for a "best of" final DVD. Let me state what I've accomplished so far and perhaps a few pointers will help me to finish.

The first thing I do is rip/decrypt(only) so I may view the .vobs using DVD2SVCD.
    Next, I view the .vobs via MPEG2Cut and cut and create new edited .vob files
    I then use VOBMerge to create one final .vob which I want to put on a DVD+RW
    My problem comes when I take the new .vob and open DVD2SVCD. DVD2SVCD wants an .ifo file and my new .vob sadly has none.

Slightly off the subject I'd like to thank this forum, especially setarip, for his post which aided me in making mpeg-2 files. I burned these mpeg-2 files to DVD but my DVD player says " Disk not playable". My DVD player is a Sony and it reads all DVD formats.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I then use VOBMerge to create one final .vob which I want to put on a DVD+RW"

With any luck, you should be able to use the recently released TMPGEnc DVD Author (NOT to be confused with TMPGEnc) to simply click on "Source setup" and then "Add file" and load your .VOB. If it can be handled by the program, you'll then, if you wish (EASILY) be able to create a menu and chapters...

Just curious - do these created .VOBs play back properly (prior to your attempt at further conversion)?

Also - Why is your/this thread captioned "help getting vob to svcd", when you state that you want to burn a DVD?

"Slightly off the subject I'd like to thank this forum, especially setarip, for his post which aided me in making mpeg-2 files."

My pleasure, as always ;>}

Comment

• Onepotato
      • May 2003

setarip,

Thanks for replying. Regarding:

"Just curious - do these created .VOBs play back properly (prior to your attempt at further conversion)?"

Yes, the final edited .vob file is playable and in sync.It has been a while since my response to your reply, but I have been trying your suggestion...

"With any luck, you should be able to use the recently released TMPGEnc DVD Author (NOT to be confused with TMPGEnc) to simply click on "Source setup" and then "Add file" and load your .VOB. If it can be handled by the program, you'll then, if you wish (EASILY) be able to create a menu and chapters..."

...as well as other methods, all of which have failed, either due to myself or the method. To the following portion of your reply...

"Also - Why is your/this thread captioned "help getting vob to svcd", when you state that you want to burn a DVD?"

... I want to burn an EDITED version of several DVD's to a medium of DVD+RW. Perhaps I am doing more than is necessary.... I don't know at this point I'm completely lost. So, if I may request, I'd appreciate your consideration of doing the following:

Download the programs I've listed which you do not have(if any) and take one of your personal DVD's and get to the following point ...

"The first thing I do is rip/decrypt(only), using DVD2SVCD, so I may view the .vobs.
      Next, I view the .vobs via MPEG2Cut and cut and create new edited .vob files with MPEG2Cut.
      I then use VOBMerge to create one final .vob. This final .vob file is viewable and in sync."

...I want to burn on this edited version/.vob to a medium of DVD+RW which will play in my stand-alone DVD player.

From the point listed above I have attempted the following:

"My problem comes when I take the new .vob and open DVD2SVCD. DVD2SVCD wants an .ifo file and my new .vob sadly has none".

I downloaded ifoedit and was able to extract .ifo files from my "final .vob". My final .vob had the working title of 1.vob ; ifoedit didn't like that so I renamed 1.vob to VTS_01_1.vob and ifoedit then created .ifo's and .bup files.

Although, ifoedit created the following four files...

VIDEO_TS.BUP
      VIDEO_TS.IFO
      VIDEO_01.BUP
      VIDEO_O1.IFO

... when I then used DVD2SVCD only one .ifo was requested and I chose VIDEO-01-IFO. What DVD2SVCD spit out was 27 files. I tried to burn these to DVD but my DVD player always says the same "not playable".

setarip, try ripping a bit from the previews of a DVD and then rip the first section of the movie, cut using MPEG2Cut, then take your renamed .vob files to VOBMerge, and make your "final .vob and see if you can get that "final .vob burned to DVD, Unless you already know how then please point me in the right direction.

I am writing an exhaustive text file descibing a "how-to" on editing a DVD and getting the edited DVD burned on DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW, playable on a stand-alone DVD player. Of course I have to do it first, but if you help I intend to send it to you for perusal and critique. The idea is to offer this text file for those who find themselves having too much to absorb in learning so many programs, to accomplish the task.

I have probably got you all laughing at my ignorance or shoving the barrel of a gun against your temple waiting for this insufferable reply to end. Hey, I'm there, and suspect I have dain bramage from all of this. I'd blow my brains out but I'd end up in hell and that would just be redundant.

Help would be appreciated!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"This final .vob file is viewable and in sync."

And exactly what happened when you tried to load this .VOB into "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (NOT TMPGEnc) by selecting "ADD File" (NOT "ADD DVD Video")?

Comment

• Onepotato
          • May 2003

Hi setarip,
          When I open TMPGEnc DVD Author and click file the window opens for me to load a file and when I direct it to the folder my .vob is in it doesn't see it so I go to the drop-down box and change to view All files (*.*). When it then sees the .vob I highlight the .vob and click OPEN and TMPGEnc DVD Author gives me a small pop-up window stating:

Can't load "sfmpgdec.dll"

I checked and sfmpgdec.dll exist.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

That type of error would only come up if you're using a flawed/improperly modified/cracked version of "TMPGEnc DVD Author". If you are using a version other than the free (FULLY FUNCTIONAL) trial version or a purchased version, I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this thread any further...

If, in fact, your using either the trial version or a purchased version, I'd suggest you email the publisher to determine the cause of that error.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

I'm afraid I won't be able to participate in this thread any further...
              we'll take your word for it!
              Last edited by UncasMS; 30 May 2003, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...