Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jefftraveler
    • Jun 2003

Mpg > AVI

Is there any way to turn an Mgp into an AVI?

Jeff
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Flask, MPEG Mediator, Gordion Knot, plenty of others ;>}

Click on the link to DivX Digest at the top of this page. Read some of the excellent "how-tos" and then click on "Software" and peruse the many conversion tools available...

Comment

• Jefftraveler
      • Jun 2003

How do I do it using Virtual Dub?

Jeff

Comment

• jorgelucas
        • Jun 2003

If it isn't ask much, I'd like to know the best way to convert .MPG>.AVI STEP-BY-STEP, no matter what software is necessary (as long as I don't have to buy it).

Please, make it simple. I'm VERY newbie at this!
        Last edited by jorgelucas; 19 Jun 2003, 01:19 PM.
        Duh

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

1. Open MPG file in VirtualDub.
          2. Set Video and Audio tabs to Full Processing Mode.
          3. Under Video, select Compression and choose the DivX/XviD codec. Configure the settings, as required.
          4. Under Audio, select Compression and select a codec (eg. MP3). Choose a desired bitrate (eg. 128kbps).
          5. If the source resolution is not divisible by 16, you will need to resize it to conform to the factor-of-16 requirement. Use the Resize filter with Precise Bicubic/Lanczos mode.
          6. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file.

If you are working with MPEG-2 files, use VirtualDubMod instead and rename the MPG file to VOB (so that VDMod will recognise and open it).

Comment

• jorgelucas
            • Jun 2003

Ow... I think my MPEG was somewhat "errouneous", even though I could play the movie without any problem...
            That's why I was being so unsucessful converting it to .AVI.

Luckily, I saw at MPEG Mediator's homepage you should De-multiplex and re-multiplex the file to fix this.

It kinda worked, BUT, the sound is out-of-synch...

I'll look for some texts over the web and in this forum about how to fix this, but if someone has a quick way to fix out-of-synch sound, please tell me here... thx....
            Duh

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Make sure that you use the same sampling rate for the audio compression (i.e. 44,100Hz MPEG-1 audio compressed to MP3 at 44,100Hz as well). This avoids synch. problem related to different sampling rates.

If you are unable to demux the audio (as WAV) in Virtualdub, you can use Graphedit to de-mux the audio. The filter graph will look like the following:

File Source (MPG file) >> MPEG-1 Stream Splitter >> MPEG Audio Decoder >> WAV Dest >> File Writer (File Name)

The acquired WAV file can then be input into Virtualdub as the audio source (with the original MPG file as the video source ONLY).

Comment

Working...