Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterAbacus
    • Jul 2003

Best Files for a Newbie ???

HI, im totaly new, and have read some of the post here n this forum, sounds like theres some knolegable peeps here...

Hope you can help me...

Ive already downloaded the odd DivX file and AVI file, but im having problems converting these files to VCD`S.

If i understand, I think i need to convert the Divx`s to Avi`s then them to MPG`s to enable me to record them as vcd`s....If im wrong please correct me....

Whats the best software for me to use, and preferably some that has a "Dummies" guide as to use the stuff.

I have tried alsorts but seem to be getting knowhere, please someone point me in the right direction...
    Last edited by MasterAbacus; 12 Jul 2003, 05:38 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"If i understand, I think i need to convert the Divx`s to Avi`s then them to MPG`s to enable me to record them as vcd`s....If im wrong please correct me...."

1) You are wrong ;>}

There is no such thing as "converting Divx to .AVI". DivX is one of many compression methodologies used to create .AVIs. Therefore, if you have a DivX-compressed video, regardless of what extender someone has chosen to add to its name, it is, in fact, an .AVI file.

2) The following is but one way (and I can assure you, other posters will eagerly provide other "simpler" and/or "better" ways) to create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
    2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    3) Click on "Setting" radio button
    4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
    6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
    7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
    8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)" and "Bitrate" to "1,150"
    9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
    10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than 70-80 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• MasterAbacus
      • Jul 2003

okies, thanks for the reply, but what is TMPGEnc ? ? ?

Comment

• mini_me417
        • Jul 2003

help

I HAVE ENCODED A MOVIE AND THEN BURNED IT THOUGHT NERO BUT IT WILL NOT PLAY WOT SHALL I DO

Comment

• MasterAbacus
          • Jul 2003

That sounds like a player problem to me, but still doesnt say what TMPGEnc is ?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To MasterAbacus

1) "okies, thanks for the reply, but what is TMPGEnc ? ? ?"

It's a software program used to convert .AVIs to MPEG-1VideoCD format. You can get either the fully functional freeware version or the commercial version by clicking on this link:

2) Feel free to ignore the unrelated posting to your thread by "mini_me417" - who has posted his/her own unrelated question on about 10 other threads at these forums. It has absolutely nothing to do with your question(s)...
            Last edited by setarip; 12 Jul 2003, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• MasterAbacus
              • Jul 2003

Thanks for your reply, do i need all the downloads on that page, or just one of them? please advise!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Just the primary one - TMPGEnc...

Comment

• MasterAbacus
                  • Jul 2003

When i try to install the .avi file it say "unsupported media file"...any ideas?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

You don't have installed on your system the specific video codec that was used to create that video.

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

(VirtualDub is a program...)

Comment

• MasterAbacus
                      • Jul 2003

i GOT VURTUAL DUB, Installed it, and loaded it, all ok.

When i goto "OPEN VIDEO FILE" I select the avi file to open, click ok, then it gives me the message :

"Couldnt locate decompressor for format "dx50" unknown."
                      "Vurtualdub requires a video for windows(VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. Directshow codecs, such as those used by windows media player are not suitable."

Any ideas???

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

Download and install a DivX v.5.xx (any version of DivX 5) codec...

Comment

• MasterAbacus
                          • Jul 2003

I downloaded the files u sugested, ive now got a screen capture...attached...Whats the nxt step my friend????
                          Attached Files

Comment

• MasterAbacus
                            • Jul 2003

Well after eading your earlier post, i think ive manged to get it converting using TMPGEnc, i just going to leave it running for a bit, and see what happens, i will post the outcome...many thanks for you advise so far....

Comment

• MasterAbacus
                              • Jul 2003

Its starte dthe TMPGEnc, the vidoe display started to run in the screen , then froze five or six seconds into it, but it says the proccess is still runiing, shoul di just leave it to run, for 3-4 hours, or am i wasting my time, should the vid stream be running?????

Comment

Working...