DVD burning ......... avi > dvd! (NOT vcd)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptainChaos
    • Jul 2003

DVD burning ......... avi > dvd! (NOT vcd)

Hi!

Im from the UK, and have just got a dvd rewriter (NEC 1100) which came with Nero 5.5 ......

I have a few .avi files I want to convert to mpeg-2 (which I believe is dvd quality) ........ how do i do this? will Nero sort it out for me, or will I need another bit of software?

Also ..... some of the .avis run at different frame rates .. is this important? Or will the audio/video run at the same rate regardless ......

I might be posting a few more queries, because Im totally new to this & totally confused ..... I keep getting "CloneDVD", "DVD Shrink", "dvd2one" and "smartripper" names thrown at me from everywhere!!

At the moment - I just want to burn the avi's to dvd+r/rw, and would like to know what software I need to be able to do this as easily as possible .. If Nero is fine, please tell me ... If there is something else that is better, please tell me that too.

Thanks very much

Ian
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

Hi, the people here will probably tell you the same thing... you could and should try TMPGEnc (freeware) to encode your .avi files to DVD. It's almost idiot-proof. Don't try some other funny programs which you have to pay $$$ for.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

like wildmanjoe said: try tmpeg or maybe dvd2svcd/cce to convert the avi to svcd format, which can then be burned to dvd.

Comment

• micol
        • Aug 2003

What if you have an .avi with ac3 audio. I can't seem to find a method or guide that with convert this to DVD-R without loosing the ac3.

I have used VirtualDub (all mods), TMPGEnc Plus, TMPGEnc DVD Author, Ulead DVD Moviefactory & DVD Lab.

Comment

• chickeneater
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2002

avi with ac3 won't matter with TMPGEnc. Audio that cannot go through TMPGEnc is VBR mp3.
          FFDShow filters
          Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

What if you have an .avi with ac3 audio. I can't seem to find a method or guide that with convert this to DVD-R without loosing the ac3.
            demux this avi into sound and video

convert the video to svcd compliant stream

then load the m2v video stream into dvdlab and add the original ac3 stream to it

author to new project

that should be all

Comment

• shiny#3
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jul 2003

"like wildmanjoe said: try tmpeg or maybe dvd2svcd/cce to convert the avi to svcd format, which can then be burned to dvd."

when using the Tmpeg encoder or cce including tool
              why should someone convert to the SVCD format
              480x576 Pal
              or even worse
              480x480 NTSC

instead of using the very simple
              Tmpegs wizard to create a full size 720x576 or 720x480
              video for DVD creating purposes especially if the avifiles are real good avis like the
              two cd xvid/AC3 version of LOTR the two towers.????

Comment

• micol
                • Aug 2003

Quote:

"demux this avi into sound and video

convert the video to svcd compliant stream

then load the m2v video stream into dvdlab and add the original ac3 stream to it

author to new project "

I have tried that but when authoring DVD Lab gives an error message about the ac3 file & something to do with packetsize??

Comment

Working...