Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eaperezh
    • Aug 2003

inserting subtitles in an AVI movie

I downloaded an AVI movie from the internet (its divx/mp3) and found the spanish subtitles in another site.
    Is there a way to permanently burn the subtitles in the AVI so i (or less experiencied users) dont need to load subtitles while playing?

the idea is to distribute the AVI with the subtitles already included.

Thanks,
    erick
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you download VOBSUB, you'll note that it includes a program named "SUBMUX.EXE".

The documentation for "SUBMUX.EXE" begins as follows:

"With this multiplexer you can mix avi, wav, wma (not recommended, it is sloooow, done in real-time) and what the most important is: SSA.....Convert your subtitles into .ssa (subresync.exe can do it) "

(SUBRESYNC.EXE is also included in the download)

Comment

• WildmanJoe
      • Jan 2003

"With this multiplexer you can mix avi, wav, wma (not recommended, it is sloooow, done in real-time) and what the most important is: SSA.....Convert your subtitles into .ssa (subresync.exe can do it) "
      Do you mean this as a quote from the documentation or is it your own opinion Setarip? I just tried muxing my .srt subs with my movie and the whole process took less than 10s. Correct me if I misunderstood your point.

Comment

• eaperezh
        • Aug 2003

Thanks, setarip. it worked perfectly. had to change the .smi to .ssa, but after that it took about 20 seconds.

after i do that. Will i need to install the vosub codec/decoder in the computer that is supposed to seee the movie?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To WildmanJoe

"Do you mean this as a quote from the documentation or is it your own opinion Setarip?"

I'm sorry, but I didn't think I could be much clearer than saying, "The documentation for "SUBMUX.EXE" begins as follows:" and then quoting the documentation.

It's a verbatim quote of the documentation, intended to let the original poster knwo that if he/she chooses to use this software, the software's AUTHOR states that the subtitle file must be in .SSA format.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To eaperezh

"Thanks, setarip. it worked perfectly"

My pleasure ;>}

"Will i need to install the vosub codec/decoder in the computer that is supposed to seee the movie?"

1) There is no such thing as a vobsub codec/decoder

2) Playback this .AVI just as you would any other. The subtitles, which are now a part of the video will appear with no additional software necessary...

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

Hi Setarip, I was just surprised that the author would add "(not recommended, it is sloooow, done in real-time)" to his documentation. Now I realised that it's your own comments that were added.

Strangely although Gabest specified .ssa format, .srt format seems to work just as well... except that Windows doesn't seem to be able to display Video/Audio information under properties after muxing the subs with the movie.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To WildmanJoe

"Hi Setarip, I was just surprised that the author would add "(not recommended, it is sloooow, done in real-time)" to his documentation. Now I realised that it's your own comments that were added."

Once again, THOSE ARE THE SOFTWARE AUTHOR'S WORDS - NOT MINE!

Comment

Working...