I'm new to the board and would really appreciate any help on
    this matter of Phantom CD Drives and how to REMOVE the one
    I have.

I've searched the net and asked some friends but I haven't
    found anything useful. I don't have Daemon Tools, which is
    one thing that came up in threads. I searched my computer to
    be sure and I don't have it.

I did install CDRWin 5 and Nero 5. Unfortunately I can't be sure
    when this problem started but it has been in the past 3 days and I have since deleted Nero.

I noticed the problem when I couldn't even use my old Easy CD Creator program. It won't launch. I then noticed in My Computer, there are now 3 CD drives. I only have two (E & F). Now there's G, but G is a real drive so I can't figure out which of the others is the phantom drive and more importantly how to delete it.

I've already gone into Control Panel - System and removed it but the icon still shows up in My Computer.

I've read this doesn't affect some people's computers but it affects mine because I can't burn anything. Not even a music CD.

What happens is when I start CDRWin, the only option I have as CD Burner is Image Recorder, which is the phantom drive (as seen in "system"). I can't change this to my CD-R drive and I get an error saying something about not being able to meet minimum requirements. In Nero, it would just try to make an Image file, but would never burn to a CD.

I'm sorry this was so long of a post, but I wanted to make myself clear as best I could so as to get the most help.

Are there any options in CDRWin or Nero (I can get it again) that I need to check out? Or programs I need to download? At one point I had downloaded Alcohol 120% but I couldn't install it so I don't imagine that would be the culprit. Still, I'm up for any suggestions, and again, I appreciate it a lot.
Working...