Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arnstein
    • Aug 2003

framerate conversion?

As a favor for a friend, I am trying to burn (Nero6) a vcd of the avi file below. I guess I need to do frame rate conversion for NTSC -- because after conversion by TMPGenc to mpg, Nero declares the file an 'invalid video stream' - 30fps. This is interesting since Nandub says the avi's 25fps. In any event, I've read some online articles about framerate conversion and am totally confused. Can somebody tell me what to do or point me to the best instructions for this process? Many thanks. Arnstein
    AVI File Details
    ========================================
    Name.........: xxxx
    Filesize.....: 700 MB (or 717,374 KB or 734,590,976 bytes)
    Runtime......: 01:43:35 (155,372 fr)
    Video Codec..: DivX 3 Low-Motion
    Video Bitrate: 810 kb/s
    Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
    Frame Size...: 576x240 (2.40:1) [=12:5]
    Frame Rate ...25fps
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Nero declares the file an 'invalid video stream' - 30fps."

Are you sure the message doesn't refer to the videostream being "non-compliant" and asks you idf you wish to burn it anyway? if so, feel free to "tell" NERO to burn this other-than-compliant (NERO was looking for a framerate of 29.97Kbps) VCD file...

Comment

• arnstein
      • Aug 2003

Will I get a vcd that will play properly? Before, I tried accepting Nero's option to re-encode and lost the wide screen, letterboxed format. The result was 4:3 and cut off on all sides. So all I have to do is accept the non-compliant stream?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"So all I have to do is accept the non-compliant stream?"

Yes (You DO NOT want NERO to re-encode - simply to burn).

To avoid this in the future, after loading a similar file into TMPGEnc and setting your mode to "MPEG-1VideoCD", under the "Video" tab, look at the "Video bitrate". If it's indicated as 30.00Kbps, simply select (down arrow) 29.970Kbps instead...

"Will I get a vcd that will play properly?"

Of course. Otherwise, why would I suggest this?

Comment

• arnstein
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by setarip
          [

"Will I get a vcd that will play properly?"

Of course. Otherwise, why would I suggest this? [/B]
          Didn't mean to imply I doubt you, just the articles I read seemed so complicated, it amazed me there was a simple answer. Thanks, I'll let you know how it does. arnstein

Comment

• arnstein
            • Aug 2003

Tried to rencode with TEMPGenc per your suggestion - Mpeg1 VideoCD and framerate down to 29.97 fps. I got a skittery image full of pixilated artifacts. Not sure what I did wrong

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Not sure what I did wrong"

Under the "Video" tab, make sure "Video format" is set to "NTSC"

Comment

• arnstein
                • Aug 2003

OK -- will do. Are there other settings you like to use for best image quality?

Comment

• arnstein
                  • Aug 2003

No matter what I do, the mpg comes out silent. I set for Mpeg1-Video Cd in System. Under Video, I set size to 352x240, Aspect Ratio 16:9 NTSC, frame rate 23.976 (down from 25 of original) Bitrate: constant 1150. High Quality for Motion Search Position.

In Advance, I set source as Non-Interlace, Bottom position first, Source Aspect Ratio as 16:9 Pal, Video Arrange - Full Screen Keep Aspect Ratio. Audio is Mpeg1 Layer II, 44100 sampling frequency, Stereo, 192 bit rate.

Tell me what I should change. Many thanks

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"No matter what I do, the mpg comes out silent."

How is it you are just now mentioning this for the first time???

Have you successfully PLAYED the .AVI that you're trying to convert?

Instead of the partial information you initially provided, do the following:

1) Load the video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• arnstein
                      • Aug 2003

I've played the AVI no problem. The encoding that was all pixilated had ok sound. Others I tried had sound but were out of sync, as I tried to figure out how to get this right.

From Nandub:
                      Video Stream

Frame Size, fps: 576X240, 25fps
                      # of Frames - 155372 (1:43.34)
                      Divx 5.05 decompressor
                      Key frames - 2448
                      Min/Av/Max/Total Key Frame Size: 683/14711/52654 (35169k)
                      Min/Av/Max/Total Delta Frame Size: 0/3864/61908/577157K
                      Divx Quality - blank

Audio Stream

Sampling Rate - 44100hz
                      Channels- 2 Stereo
                      Sample Precision - 0-bit
                      FraunhaufferIIS MPEG Layer 3 Codec
                      Preload Skew - 1 Samples (0.00)
                      # of frames - 234733
                      Min/Av/Max/Total Frame Size 417/417/418 (95810K)

Comment

• arnstein
                        • Aug 2003

Here's a jpg of g-spot info
                        Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

Interestingly, GSpot is erroneously reporting the audiostream as "CBR" (Constant Bitrate). MP3, when in fact, it is clear from trhe file information you've posted from NanDub that it is actually "VBR" (Variable Bitrate) .MP3 - which TMPGEnc cannot process.
                          ==============================================
                          Video Stream
                          # of Frames - 155372 (1:43.34)

Audio Stream
                          # of frames - 234733

If the audiostream was "CBR", the number of audio and video streams would be virtually identical. With "VBR" the number of audio frames is ALWAYS significantly greater than the number of video frames.
                          ==============================================

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio for use with TMPGEnc

Simply use NanDub or VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
                          1) Load your original .AVI into NanDub

2)Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"

3) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode" (NanDub only -For VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list">>rightclick on the listed audiostream and then select "Full Processing Mode")
                          From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose "No compression(PCM)" (NanDub only - For VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list">>rightclick on the listed audiostream and then select "Compression" and choose "No compression(PCM)")

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (In VIrtualDubMOD, "Save WAV" is located under the "Streams" drodpown menu) (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"

5) Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (NanDub - set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file. - For VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list">>click on the listed audiostream and then select "Disable").

6) Open TMPGEnc and FIRST "drag and drop" the silent .AVI onto it, then do the same with the .WAV file.

Comment

• arnstein
                            • Aug 2003

1. TMPGenc is also calling it CBR

(MPEG-1 576x240 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps) -- from the file info line at the bottom of the tmpg screen. How come?

2. I thought because I'm altering frame-rate on the video from 25 fps to 23.976, I have to do the same to the audio. Don't I have to do something to the wav?

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

"(MPEG-1 576x240 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 192kbps) -- from the file info line at the bottom of the tmpg screen. How come?"

That's an information line indicating what TMPGEnc is going to attempt to convert your video TO - and the "CBR 1,150kbps" is regarding the VIDEOSTREAM, NOT the audiostream...

Now that's this is clarified (hopefully) for you, I'd suggest you follow the instructions I've provided for converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio for use with TMPGEnc...

Comment

Working...