• Oct 2003

yes downloaded everthing there .. just gonna try it again

thanks for the help

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

Most interesting thread - am picking up much info.
      Thanks Shiny#3, said encode without really thinking there - luckily I start off with an MPEG2 here, albeit a transport thread instead of program/product(?) thread. Grr!

Exploding heads - how well I know the feeling!
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• shiny#3
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jul 2003

Thanks Shiny#3, said encode without really thinking there - luckily I start off with an MPEG2 here, albeit a transport thread instead of program/product(?) thread. Grr!

I am not quite sure what you mean by that.......
        but this might be due to the fact that Enghlish is not my
        mother tongue......

I am trying to suggest only freeware or cheap software here.....

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
          • Oct 2003

and i am very greatful for all the suggestions

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
            • Oct 2003

right i have got tmpenc and tmpgenc dvd author and gspot all up and runng fine but the virtualdub and virtual dub mod just are not playing ball at all .. i have downloaded apsolutley everything there is to run it but all i get when i try to run it is ..

couldnt launch virtualdubmod.exe

i downloaded the basic virtual dub first and on its own it worked fine but once i tried to download the virtualdubmod after that then nothing worked ... am i doing something wrong ?

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
              • Oct 2003

also why when i try to open a file in tmpgenc does it say cannot open or unsupported when the file clearly says .avi ?

i have been reading a lot of posts around here and god i feel even more stupid now ... how on earth do people get to know all this stuff ?

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Hello again. I've not got around to working with VirtualDub yet but are the downloads overwriting each other I wonder? Did you check they were going to different folders on your drive?

If that is not the issue, then are you starting VirtualdubMod with the application that's in the folder? Applications need to either be in the folder where it's resources are or have their shortcut, if you're using that instead, pointing to the appropriate folder. This can be found under its properties (right-click the icon)
                I hope this helps

Comment

• sfheath
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Sep 2003

Thingy_me_bob: Sadly, I have no experience of TMPGENc as my sources are MPEG already. have you established whether your avi has a constant bitrate as backreading it looks like variable bitrate could be the problem?

Shiny#3: Just spotted my earlier mistake. I referred to Transport and Program Threads. I should have said Streams!
                  Have you thought of writing a book on the subject? Your English is excellent by the way!

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
                    • Oct 2003

NO i definatley checked the bitrate as i was reading another post about that which made me try it again so i checked the bitrate with gspot and definatley said it was a constant bitrate

Comment

• shiny#3
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Jul 2003

Note that avi is nothing else but a CONTAINER.....

whats "inside" such a container can ´t be told by just
                      looking at the suffix.....

the formats which are supported by TMPEG are:

Video:

1.mpeg 4 codes such as divx , xvid , msmpeg4, 3ivx,
                      divx 3 and 4

2.DV codes (such as pinnacle...canopus....and and and)

3. Uncompressed avi in rgb and yuv format....also
                      huffyuv

4. mpg1 and mpeg2 for editing purposes

Audio:

1.mp3 constant bitrate..

2. wave format (uncompressed PCM)

3. AC3

4.mpeg 1 layer 2 for editing purposes.

note that you MUST have installed at least a decompressor (filter) for all the codes that might have been used when creating the source avi......

If you notice that Tmpeg does not recognize ac3 audiostreams do the following....

in TMPGEnc, under "Environmental Settings", set the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" to the highest priority listed ("1" is usually sufficient.

TMPGEnc will now be able to process both the video and audio streams of this file..."

make sure that an ac3 codec or filter is installed to your machine....

also the FFDshow filter might solve some problems with most common mpeg4 video codecs....

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
                        • Oct 2003

well i do have a program in my programs list called AC3 filter but when i try and run it i get this message

An exception occured while trying to run "shell.dll, control.RunDLL c:\windows\system32\AC2Fil~1.CPL,"

nothing seems to want to run on my comp lol i think i mite just go remove it all and throw the comp out the window lol

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
                          • Oct 2003

well i found a file that will work with tmpgenc although it said the file may b too large when complete but even with this says will take like 3 1/2 hours to complete .. does all encoding take this long ? coz if it does then im totally wasting my time anyway lol as i can just do this the easy way with nerovision express. Only thing i would need is something to solve problems with sound and picture being out of sync sometimes if thats the case.

Comment

• shiny#3
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Jul 2003

the encoding time depends on your computerspeed
                            and mostly on how fast your processor is.....
                            its all about calculation......

3 1/2 hours with Tmpeg is not that slow.....

there is a encoding tool called "cinema craft encoder"

it is a good deal faster than Tmpeg but it is not that
                            easy to use...but there are good tutorials on that in the net.

in addition to that I have found that only the soundformats wave and mp3 CBR are supported
                            flawlessly by the CCE (cinema craft encoder)

Comment

• rsquirell
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Feb 2003

It normally takes TMPGenc about 3 hours to procss a 1 hour video...if you are making a DVD with VBR setting you can double that time. BUT!!!...you can synch up your video easily....run enough of the clip until you pass a spot where there's lip movement and stop the process....play the clip to see if there is a synch problem and note if sound is before or after lip movement. Then in "settings" under the "advanced" tab check and double click "source range". find the "audio correction" box and make adjustments...+ if sound before lip movement and - if after. (ie. if sound occurs 1/4 second before the lips move a correction of +400MSec should be close to doing the trick.)

Comment

• thingy_me_bob
                                • Oct 2003

well after all your advice as brilliant as you are ... i am not that brilliant and doubt i ever will be so i think i will cut my loses and stick with the good old easy nerovision lol at least i can use it i get good results most of the time only one in 10 are faulty but usually turns out to be the file thats dodgy anyway so im gonna stick to wot i know .. it aint much but its simple lol

thanks for all your advice

Comment

Working...