Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elbarto33
    • Dec 2002

divx audio problem

Can someone help with a sound issue? Some of my movies have sound and some do not. All of them have video. The ones that have audio are mpeg layer-3 format, and the ones with no audio I don't know the format. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you don't know the audio codec used, do the following:

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• elbarto33
      • Dec 2002

I opened the file (and many other files for that matter including files that have audio) in VirtualDub and every time I get an error message saying: "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown)." What does this mean? The file is not an xvid movie I'm pretty sure. I watched a movie that I know is an xivd file and it worked fine so I know that's not the problem. This is very frustrating because everything worked fine and then I had to reformat, and I can't remember what I had installed to watch my movies. Everything used to work fine...even opening files in VirtualDub. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Since I have no idea of your knowledge level, I'll simply ask:

Are you aware that DivX is different than XviD?

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown). What does this mean? The file is not an xvid movie I'm pretty sure."

Actually it's certain that the file's header information indicates that the file WAS created using an XviD video codec.

It may be that you have the FFDShow filter (which is NOT an XviD codec) installed on your system. This would allow you to view the XviD video...

Most postings regarding XviD encoded videos indicate that the audio is in .AC3 format - which would require that you download and install an .AC3 filter/codec...

Comment

• elbarto33
          • Dec 2002

First of all thank you setarip for helping me out. Second, I guess the file is an xvid file if you say it is. It's weird because I was able to watch it without any xvid codecs installed which made me think it was divx and every file I opened in VirtualDub said this when I know I have divx movies in my collection. I guess I'm mistaken. Third, I thought the problem was that I needed an AC3 codec but when I installed it from tsunami filter pack that didn't solve the problem. (At least I thought I installed it...the installation exe was in german and it was tough to understand.) I do have FFDShow now. Do have any suggestions as to where I can get an AC3 codec? Thanks again. I hope I'm not frustrating you too much.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks again"

My pleasure ;>}

"Do have any suggestions as to where I can get an AC3 codec?"

Do a Googlesearch...

(Or, if you have WinDVD installed on your system, download and install DVD Genie - and use DVD Genie to register the WinDVD filters to Windows)

Comment

• elbarto33
              • Dec 2002

Ok...sorry to bother you once again. I opened serveral of my movies in ViurtualDub and the ones that have audio all seem to be mp3 audio tracks, which makes me believe that I have the correct mp3 audio codec. I'm guessing the ones that don't open in VirtualDub/have no audio are wav audio tracks. I need an ac3 codec for that right? It seems to me that last time I downloaded the xvid codec and it included audio maybe I'm wrong though. Second question is what is the difference between ac3 filter, decompressor and codec and which do I need? I wish I had a divx movie with audio problems so that I could open it in VirtualDub to make sure this is the problem. Once again I appologize for knowing nothing is this area. It's people like you who make things easier for idiots like me. Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I'm guessing the ones that don't open in VirtualDub/have no audio are wav audio tracks. I need an ac3 codec for that right?"

No...

".WAV" audio is Uncompressed PCM audio - and does NOT require the installation of any codec. It is the DEFAULT audio format of your computer.

".AC3" audio has nothing to do with ".WAV" audio...

(If a 90 minute XviD video file contained .WAV audio, it would be well over 1Gigabyte in size)

Comment

• elbarto33
                  • Dec 2002

I finally got everything to work. Thanks a ton for all your help. What I ended up doing was uninstalling ffdshow because you mentioned that it might not have the real xvid codec. I got the "real" version of xvid and then installed ffdshow again but without installing xvid. Everything works fine now. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I won't forget how to get everything to work if this happens again.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Thanks a ton for all your help."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...