Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nittany
    • Dec 2003

sorry for another newbie post....

Ok, I have read a lot of posts and web pages about this stuff and I am totally confused.

I just got a dvd burner and want to be able to burn movies onto DVD-R and then watch them on my regular DVD player.

I d/l an .avi movie format.

I then ran that TMPEGnc and followed the wizard instructs.

When it started...the thing showed that it had about 5 hours!!! to complete.

Is that how it works...you actaully see the entire movie go by and slowly convert to dvd mpeg2?

Does not seem right to me....

Also, the program told me that after conversion the file may be too big to burn...is that when I run the dvd shrink program?

I appreciate anyone's help.....remember...everyone was a newbie at some time.

Nit

P.S I played around with it and finally got the thing converted....now, how do you burn it to dvd?

I have nero and when I tried to use that I got an error saying that file is not the right type.

please help.....
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

"When it started...the thing showed that it had about 5 hours!!! to complete."

Speed of the encoding depends mainly on your CPU speed. And TBH, 5 hours does not seem like a long time (i.e. TMPGEnc is not a very fast encoder).

"I have nero and when I tried to use that I got an error saying that file is not the right type."

Are you sure you have used TMPGEnc's wizard to create DVD-compliant MPEG-2 file(s)?

Regards.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 17 Dec 2003, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Nittany
      • Dec 2003

which version of nero allows that ? I am using Nero version 6.0

I can't figure out if it has that option.

I also tried using mydvd (which came w/ the HP dvd writer) and it keeps saying device errors or times out.

Man this stuff is confusing.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Sorry. I meant to say TMPGEnc. The previous post has been corrected.

Regards.

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

Could be worth checking your Nero version number. If 6.0.0.0 then an update is strongly recommended. All-the-zeros is more than a little buggy I hear!
          Good luck
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

Don't give up, Nittany...this video stuff is not as easy as it seems. I've seen EE's and PhD Comp Sci types throw up their hands and stomp out when everything doesn't drop neatly into place for them. The reasons there are so many options in the software is because there are so many things people want to create...and the author wants to accommodate all. Stick with the Wizards and don't select any options until you start feeling a little more comfortable with each component piece of software. That said...Nero wont burn a Video DVD unless it's been properly prepped and the IFO, BUP and VOB files created. TMPGenc DVD Author ( different from TMPGenc) will do this (AND (if you are XP or Win2000) it will BURN your video, too (eliminating the need for Nero altogether.)
            Last edited by rsquirell; 19 Dec 2003, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• Nittany
              • Dec 2003

the TMPGenc DVD author I have does not burn dvd? I am running Win XP also. What version also burns?

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

Do you have a trial version.?..mine burns...the burning engine opens automatically after the files built.

Comment

• Nittany
                  • Dec 2003

Exactly what format does a file have to be in to be made into a DVD that plays on a normal DVD player?

I d/l files that are .avi, SVCD, VCD, etc....but what do they have to be converted into to become normal DVDs?

Comment

• sfheath
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Sep 2003

you need to create mpeg2 dvd compliant files. once you've ordered them and edited, added menu etc, you go to output, specify a folder for it to construct to and when it's finished, prompts you to open the DVD writing tool.
                    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...