Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ggw98
    • Dec 2003

Help converting MPEG4 to AVI DV type 2

I have a DVD that was created by one of those direct VHS to DVD set top boxes. The DVD was created without chapters, so I decided to load it into my computer and edit it and then burn it back out to DVD. After trying a few programs, I bought dvd-to-avi from fleximage (http://www.dvd-to-avi.com/) and it converted the DVD to an AVI. The quality is good, at least as good as it can be since it was converted from old VHS tapes. Then I was going to edit it using Pinnacle Expression. I like Expression because it's fairly simple for a beginner. What I found is that, when attempting to edit the video in Expression, I have no audio, although the audio plays fine in Windows Media Player. I contacted Tech Support for both companies and found that the DVD-TO-AVI process writes the AVI file out in AVI MPEG4 format, and Expression expects the file to be in AVI DV Type 2 format. I tried to use VirtualDUB to convert the file (options video direct stream, audio direct stream, interleave checked), but I still get no audio when bringing the file into Expression.

I've read the help files on this board and haven't seen anything like this problem. If I've missed one of the FAQ's on this, I offer my apologies in advance. There seems to be experts on this forum that are willing to help newbies, and believe me, that is appreciated. Screenshot attached from VirtualDUB with the file information of the AVI file.

TIA
    Greg
    Attached Files
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You can make your life MUCH easier by completely eliminating the need to convert to .AVI and then back to DVD.

Simply use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc") to "Add DVD Video" (Load your original DVD files) - and then EASILY add chapters, edit out commercials and create a menu. Then, if you are running either Win2000 or WinXP, you can use the same program to burn your DVD (Otrherwise, use NERO in "DVD-Video" mode, or similar software, to burn)...

Comment

Working...