Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GazKav
    • Jan 2004

VOB ID problem

Firstly apologise if this has been covered in earlier threads, but I was unable to find the answer using the search function.

My problem is that VOB files are being wrongly associated with Windows Media Player (showing as mpeg icons), and are copied across in this format when using Nero Express, resulting in my DVD player being unable to read the disc. Also if I browse through the files on a friend's ripped DVD, the same thing happens and I get the WMP icon with each VOB file.

It took me a little while to discover why I kept ending up with coasters, and it was only when I looked at the tutorial screenshots that I realised that this was probably why.

I have tried removing the association without success via Windows Explorer, and have run out of ideas.

I am running WinXP Home Edition on a P4 2.8Ghz.

Any help suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sorry to disappoint you, but the file association has nothing to do with the playability of the burned DVD.

The ONLY effect of a file association is that if your doubleclick on an associated file, it will automatically start the playing of the program with which it's associated...

Comment

• GazKav
      • Jan 2004

Hi Setarip
      Hmmm, I was hoping that that was the reason I was ending up with the coasters.

Have you any idea what the problem could be, and how I would start the process of elimination.

Thanks

Gary

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

State clearly what it is you are doing:

Are you attempting to duplicate commercial DVDs that you own? If so, what software and procedures (step-by-step) are you using?

If you are trying to use other source material, what is it - and, again, what software and procedures (step-by-step) are you using?

Comment

• GazKav
          • Jan 2004

OK
          I'm trying to backup my copy of Enemy at the Gates. I'm using DVD Shrink to rip it and Nero Express to burn. The 5 DVD's I have burnt so far all play ok on my PC DVD drive via Power DVD but won't play on my Panasonic S35 player (error message says wrong disc format).

My friend has the same player which has allowed me to eliminate the likelihood of disc incompatibility.

He's using the same software and method...but his VOB files are not being altered to mpeg windows media files, they remain as "file type unknown", which is the only apparent difference between our system/methods.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

1) Have you successfully played your friend's burned DVD on YOUR Panasonic S35 (I assume this is a standalone DVD player)?

2) Are you using the same brand/format of burnable DVDs as is your friend?

3) Are you burning your DVD so that ALL DVD-related files (.IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) are being placed in a VIDEO_TS folder?

Comment

• GazKav
              • Jan 2004

1) Yes all played ok (selection of DVD-R, +R and +RW). My player is a standalone.

2). Yes, I have used a selection of brands and formats including an +RW that he had successfully used previously.

3). Not sure about this one, I don't create a folder called VIDEO_TS, but the option for the mentioned file types is selected.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Not sure about this one, I don't create a folder called VIDEO_TS"

This is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY!

I'd suggest that you use the FULL version of NERO (rather than NERO Express) - select the "DVD-Video" mode - and ALL DVD-related files (.IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) in the RED "VIDEO_TS" folder

Comment

• GazKav
                  • Jan 2004

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought this was done automatically when using Nero Express, as I said my friend is using Nero Express exactly the same with no probs. The only difference between our setups is the DVD writer (mine's a Sony DW-u10a), and the fact that my VOB files are id' differently.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Forgive my ignorance, but I thought this was done automatically when using Nero Express"

If it is (because you've selected the proper mode) then so be it. Simply place the burned DVD in your PC's drive/burner and examine the directory. Is there or isn't there a "VIDEO_TS" (MUST be capitals) directory on your burned DVD?

By the way (This is not a repeat question), do your DVDs play on your friend's standalone DVD player?

Comment

• GazKav
                      • Jan 2004

I've had a look at the full Nero program, but there doesn't appear to be an option to burn DVD's (it's version 5.5.9.22). The DVD option only seems to be available with Nero Express....would that be right ?

If necessary I'll upgrade to Nero 6 online if it will address the problem.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

Again, I ask:

Is there or isn't there a "VIDEO_TS" (MUST be capitals) directory on your burned DVD?

By the way (This is not a repeat question), do your DVDs play on your friend's standalone DVD player?

"I've had a look at the full Nero program, but there doesn't appear to be an option to burn DVD's (it's version 5.5.9.22). The DVD option only seems to be available with Nero Express....would that be right ?"

1) No - Where you see "CD" in a window at the upper left, click on the down arrow and you'll see that you can switch this to "DVD"

2) Use v.5.5.10.28 or newer...

Comment

• Waz
                          • Dec 2003

Hi Setarip,
                          I have recently got Surcode DTS CD Pro, but have no idea to work it.
                          I get as far as changing my mp3 into wav format, then I don't know what to do. Could you please help me in anyway, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to use BeSweet though.
                          I would like, if possible step by step instructions on what to do, I have tried SurCode help, that is useless to me.
                          Thanks
                          Waz
                          (you can contact me via visionslr1@yahoo.co.uk)
                          Thanks.
                          PS This was the only way I could contact you.

Comment

• GazKav
                            • Jan 2004

Hi again setarip
                            Well I've had a look at Nero 6 Ultra and sure enough as you said I can now see the folder VIDEO_TS, but it definitely wasn't showing in my version.

I'll copy the BUP, IFO and VOB files into this folder and try again.

Do I have to do anything with the audio files ?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• GazKav
                              • Jan 2004

Hi setarip
                              I've cracked it with your help, and have managed to successfully burn a DVD.

My grateful thanks to you

Kind regards

Gary

Comment

Working...