X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • count-usb
    • Oct 2003

3 VCD's onto DVD?

Hi..

I have three movies that are on VCD, now the quality is not bad for VCD, what I would like to know is this, seeing that they each fit onto one CD is it possible to put all three on one DVDR?

Please note that I am Not a computer or software expert, so impress the hell out of me by giving only instructions that are so simple a one-armed blindfolded monkey can understand them.

Thanks..

• rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

Do you still have the source the VCD's were made from? The quality would be substantially better if you were able to encode the original vids as DVD's. As far as your VCD's are concerned...sure, you could easily copy them to a DVD as "data files"using nearly any burning software....but they could only be viewed on your PC. You could copy the VCD's to your harddrive and encode those files as DVD's which could be viewed on the TV...but their quality would be substantially less than if you worked with the original source.

Comment

• count-usb
      • Oct 2003

Hi rsquirellV..

The three are old Buster Keaton movies that I have from years ago; an old friend took them from super8 mm and put them onto VCD for me. What I would like to do is put all three of them now onto one DVD and watch them on TV. Is this possible?

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Sure...copy the VCD's to your HDD and convert them to DVD Format using TMPGenc (just follow the Wizard and don't try anything fancy). Then take them into TMPGenc DVD Author (a different program) as separate "tracks"...create a menu (where you name each track) and burn to DVD disc (you'll need a DVD burner and DVD disc's). When you pop the DVD into the TV's player the menu will pop up, and you can select which clip to watch. If the combined clips are too large to fit on one disc after processing (>4.37GB) you may need to make an intermediary step to DVDShrink...but you can easily get 4 hours of video on one disc.

Comment

• count-usb
          • Oct 2003

Hi & thanks rsquirll..

One of the Vcd's is on two discs, do I merge them with TMPGnc. do I have to split video etc or will TMPnc do it all?

Cheers

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

I'd process one file at a time and combine them with a storyboard editor. If you don't have one, VirtualDubMod is freeware and can be downloaded from this site. Once you have it set up, to merge files you'd load the first one and under "file" click "append video" and load the second. If VDMod is too complicated, you can use the freeware HJSplit to join (you have to rename the file per their instructions). And if that's too complicated, you can get Boilsoft's AVI_MPEG_RM_WMV Joiner for $20. Oh...and TMPGenc has a joiner, too. It can be found at "file">>MPEGTools>>Merge/Split. Since you'll be working with TMPGenc-made files, it should work.
            Last edited by rsquirell; 20 Jan 2004, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• count-usb
              • Oct 2003

Great stuff! I shall give it a try and keep you posted as to how I get on..

Many thanks for your help..

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"One of the Vcd's is on two discs, do I merge them with TMPGnc. do I have to split video etc or will TMPnc do it all?"

You don't have to join them.

After converting these two in "TMPGEnc", you can load them BOTH into the SAME track in "TMPGEnc DVD Author", which will effectively JOIN them as one...

(The others will still be placed on separate tracks)

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

Yeah, I forgot about that. That's probably the most efficient way to do it. There are soooo many ways to do things...

Comment

Working...