Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrlewp
    • Jan 2004

Mpeg>to>Divx....and free??

Can you give me a link to an app that does this. A single mpg2 movie file.....convert to DivX. Thanks
    AMD-XP2600-2Ghz..1GbRAM--ATI 9000pro TV /analog capture. Dual 80g drives/Ext.250G drive/Pioneer 111D writer + HP300c DVD/CDwriter
  • hacker_on_fire
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2002

Name: DVX
    Link w/guide: http://uncas.atlandide.net/de/dvx/dvx3_english.htm

Thanks to UncasMS for the great guide.
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
    Look here before posting questions

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

For a multitude of choices, click on the link for "DivX Digest" near the top of this page...

Comment

• megamachine
        Video Fiddler
        • Mar 2003

If your MPEG-2 is from a DVD rip (VOB), then follow the guides recommended above. They are your best bet. If the MPEG-2 is captured as such from an analog source, such as TV or VHS, then I have found that VirtualDubMod works best for conversion. Just load the MPEG-2 there and do your codec settings and any adjustments you might want, such as filters or de-interlace. For the audio compression, most people still use MP3, but Uncas' guide mentioned above makes a very good case for using OGG.

Comment

• mrlewp
          • Jan 2004

Mpeg1 or 2 from VHS video capture. Not sure if I stated earlier that I am completely "flummoxed" (?)....simply wanting to preserve maybe 100 hours of VHS family tapes to CDs or DVD discs. Mpg1 - less space, but quality worse than 16 yr. old tapes! --Mpeg2 , barely 30 mins. per CD.
          DVD-- guess I need to parce taped videos to fit DVDs , which I havent' figured out yet.

As for previous reply , I get crazed over all the tech stuff....such as mp3 or OGG ?? ERGGHHH??? Everything depends on so many other aspects. Not even sure I can record to DivX now. The button on InterVideo's DVDCopy for DivX doesnt work....tells me
          some component is not installed.

I looked into DivX as option because of lesser space used , but noticed on a chart I have that WMV are identical to DivX??
          AMD-XP2600-2Ghz..1GbRAM--ATI 9000pro TV /analog capture. Dual 80g drives/Ext.250G drive/Pioneer 111D writer + HP300c DVD/CDwriter

Comment

• megamachine
            Video Fiddler
            • Mar 2003

I know it can be daunting, Lew, to get through all the tech stuff. But if you have a lot of transfers to do, it is worth the time to find a method that works for you. There are many. It sounds like you are happy with the quality of the MPEG-2 captures you are doing. If you have a DVD burner, you can just store them on DVD data disks for playback on your PC. If you want to play the DVDs on your TV, you can author them with TMPGEnc DVD Author. But, as your original post suggests, if you want to convert them to DivX or XviD, then get a copy of VirtualDubMod and load your MPEG-2 and experiment with encoding small sections to get a feel for it. You can do this by moving the slider to a minute or two section, then in the Video menu choose Compression and make sure you have the proper codecs for either XviD or DivX. For your initial experiments, trying using Constant Bitrate at different rates from 500 to 2000 and compare the difference in quality. Once you get that far, post here and we can walk you through the tweaking and remaining steps, including what to do with the audio stream.

Comment

Working...