Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • namiefan
    • Jan 2004

simple cutting mpeg-2

hi, i have a very large high quality mpg file that's 703mb. I can't fit that onto a CD, so I need to cut a couple of seconds or so from the video. I don't want to reencode it because I want to keep the quality the way it is. Is there any program for mpg that can cut and encode using "direct stream copy" like in virtualdub?

Thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") as follows:

TMPGENC>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

(Make certain to set the mode to match the MPEG format of your file)

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Another freeware tool that does the job fast and easy is MPEG2CUT (which setarip pointed out to me last year.)

Comment

• megamachine
        Video Fiddler
        • Mar 2003

You also try ReJig (http://www.rejig.org/), which will transcode the video to a lower framerate without re-encoding, although if the above cutting methods do the trick they are probably easier.

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

Note to the above, ReJig only works with MPEG-2 video files.

Comment

• namiefan
            • Jan 2004

hmm. I do have tmpgenc, but i how do I change the settings to match mine? My video is 1024x576 (16:9), but the biggest preset resolution on tmpgenc is 720x480. I know it's not a standard size, but i'm not watching it on a dvd player or anything. Its just to watch on my computer.

mpeg2cut sounds like it would do the job, but it crashed on me while it it was encoding. Second trial, it worked to cut the mpg, but WMP would no longer play the file. It tries to download a codec but gets an error.

Have yet to try rejig, but i don't want to compressing anything cuz i want to keep the quality like it is, i just want to cut a few seconds.

Thanks again.
            Last edited by namiefan; 12 Mar 2004, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• megamachine
              Video Fiddler
              • Mar 2003

The difference in quality will be negligible with ReJig, at least for the kind of shrinking you are talking about. I have done some up to 80% smaller and can barely notice the difference. You can try something like 95% and see how it looks. It's a free download, and works very fast. The only downside, in terms of time, is you have to demux the audio and video, then transcode the video, and then remux back with the original audio. If the other methods are not working, you might want to give this a try.

Comment

• megamachine
                Video Fiddler
                • Mar 2003

There's also a thing called ChopperXP that works like MPEG2CUT.

Comment

• namiefan
                  • Jan 2004

thanks megamachine.

ChopperXP gave me the same results as mpeg2cut.
                  I tried rejig. But can you explain to me how to demux and remux the audio? Right now, I'm only getting video without audio.

Comment

• megamachine
                    Video Fiddler
                    • Mar 2003

Use TMPGEnc and go to MPEG Tools in the File Menu. You will see several sections. Go to Simple De-Multiplex and set it to MPEG-2. Load your MPEG there, and hit Run. You will have two files in the end, an audio and a video stream. Load the video file into ReJig and set it at whatever percentage you want. In your case, probably 95% or higher will work. After that, go back to TMPGEnc and in MPEG Tools this time use Simple Multiplex. Set it to MPEG-2 and load the new video file you got from ReJig, and then load the audio file from the original MPEG. Give it a new file name and hit Run. Hope this helps, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Comment

• namiefan
                      • Jan 2004

thank you so much megamachine. It worked perfectly! I compressed it at 99% and the resulting video came out 693mb, perfect size for a CD.

You're a genius! U've probably been doing this for a long time. hehe

Thanks again!

Comment

• MPS
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Mar 2003

on the other hand, why bother with compressing? can't you just overburn the CD (ie. Nero)?

Comment

• megamachine
                          Video Fiddler
                          • Mar 2003

Glad to have been of help, namie. Actually, I just learned about ReJig a couple of weeks ago, but have found it to be very useful.
                          Last edited by megamachine; 14 Mar 2004, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Working...