Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cpt.Crunch
    • Dec 2001

Which OS is Best for DVD?

I am planning to dual boot Windows 98 and Windows 2000. I'm just wondering which is better for DVD playback. I use PowerDVD and WinDVD and my DVDs play fine in Win98. Would there be any difference in Windows 2000?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Windows 2000 is larger in file size and may consume more system resources. I think it depends largely on the speed and settings of your PC. Windows 2000 builds on the NT platform, and is more stable and robust than Win 98.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I don't think you'll see any appreciable difference in playback. Unless your Win98 session is about to crash (whether from long, continuous use or buggy programs), as is normal in DOS-based OSes, the playback is unlikely going to stop.

What I meant is, Win2K is definitely rock-stable, compared to Win9x, but for a normal DVD playback session, it's really not of that much relevance. Care about stability only when you're working with important files and ones that you cannot afford to lose in a system crash.

Comment

• windtrader
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Feb 2002

Percentage wise I believe Win98se is the most used OS for dedicated HTPC use. Others use ME, W2K, XP but 98SE has the least problems in terms of availability of drivers, compatibility, and availability of add on tools. Of course, it is not the most stable OS but for a dedicated HTPC which has the minimal configuration and is not tinkered with once set up, it creates the least aggravation overall to configure and maintain.

Once you get a movie going, I find 98se rarely will glitch during play. The AVscience forum is a good source of info.

Don

Comment

Working...