X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Racey
    • Apr 2004

MPEG to DVD

Hello.

First of all, I'm new to DVD-burning. I also have to apologise if my query has already been answered. I have trawled through the forum (and a great many others) and found a few threads that bear resemblance to my situation. However, none seem to replicate it.

Hopefully, for the experts, this will be easy to answer.

I have a collection of MPEG files which I have downloaded. I attempted to burn these straight to DVD using SonicDVD but was told the files were in an NTSC format. Basically, what I would like to do is burn these MPEG files to a DVD (to play on a stand-alone DVD player) in PAL format. Can somebody please detail (or point me in the direction of good) step-by-step instructions to go from an MPEG file to a DVD (in PAL format).

Many thanks in advance.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

this very issue turned up just a few days ago but I've forgotten the answer. Try a search on NTSC.
    Have you burned DVD's before? One thing that does need sorting out is media brand compatibility between burner/media/player. Check out www.dvdrhelp.com
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Racey
      • Apr 2004

I have (only) burned one DVD before but I am very familiar with IT. I've had a good look on www.dvdrhelp.com but the guides are either not quite applicable or very difficult to follow.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I would like to do is burn these MPEG files to a DVD (to play on a stand-alone DVD player) in PAL format."

Use "Use "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the "Project Wizard" template for DVD (PAL in your case) to accomplish the task. Go to "File" > "Project Wizard" (this dialog box may automatically appear by default when you launch the program). Follow the screens. When the conversion is complete, you will have a DVD compliant PAL based mpeg 2 file. You can then "Author" the file with an application such as "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different from TMPGEnc/Plus) or DVDLab.
        Last edited by ormonde; 23 Apr 2004, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Racey
          • Apr 2004

Excellent. Do I accept all the defaults during the wizard?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Do I accept all the defaults during the wizard"

Yes

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

my link was for checking burner/media brand compatibility, also brand/player compatibility, ie www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters and www.dvdrhelp/dvdplayers
              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Racey
                • Apr 2004

Oh, OK - my apologies. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Working...