Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ladyjaf
    • Jun 2004

Need Kindergarden Directions to Burn AVI Movie

Hello... I know how to burn a movie with Nero if it is in bin cue format, but have no clue how to do it if it is in avi. Have had several people try to tell me what to do, but nothing has worked. Is there a set of kindergarden directions out that anyone knows of that I can have to follow. Pretty please. I've spent way too much time trying to figure this out and now am asking experts for help.....

Thank you
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

What are you trying to accomplish?

1) Burn an .AVI, in .AVI format, to a CD-R?

Simply burn as a "Data CD"

2) Convert an .AVI to DVD format and burn to DVD?

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

3) .AVI to VCD?

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
    2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    3) Click on "Setting" radio button
    4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
    6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
    7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
    8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)" and "Bitrate" to "1,150"
    9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to "MPEG-1 Layer II", 44,100 224Kbps
    10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than 70-80 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}
    Last edited by setarip; 15 Jun 2004, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• ladyjaf
      • Jun 2004

Thank You

I appreciate all of the directions that you have given to me and when I get some sleep and my head clears , I will attempt to follow these directions. My only goal is to be able to burn this movie and watch it in my DVD player any way I can do it so I can watch it on my big screen TV.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I make out.

ladyjaf

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks again"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...